How many times a day do you sit?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

Re: How many times a day do you sit?

Postby elcfa » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:33 pm

2x1 hr (1 morning 1 evening), 3-4 x1 hr on a good day. At least 30'/day if I don't have time.
elcfa

Postby locusphor » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:59 pm

Collective wrote: it's almost as if I've told myself subconsciously '20 minutes is too long for you to focus - so don't even bother'. Then there's a feeling of restlessness (a classic I know) where I could be doing a million other things instead.

What's up Collective. Sounds like you and I are confronting similar issues. I can't sit still for the appointed 30 minutes. Something happened last night that gave me some insight into this dilemma. Quite by accident my usual timer went missing and so I decided to practice without it. I usually sit for 30 minutes timed, so I tried to emulate my normal practice absent the timer and without obsessing about hitting my 30 minute mark exactly. I just let it go. The difference in terms of quality was noticeable. It was almost as if the timer was a safety net and by taking it down I forced my hand to find some balance for myself. In a very spontaneous way I was in a better position to experience the restlessness as it is, without acting on it. I certainly did not expect the answer to be in less timing.

:namaste:
locusphor

Postby jcsuperstar » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:39 am

once a day b4 work

though once school is out for summer (no work) i'm planning on all sorts of stuff
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Previous

Return to Theravada Meditation