pain and sitting meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

Re: pain and sitting meditation

Postby acinteyyo » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:20 pm

I had a very remarkable meditation session a few minutes ago. The session took round about 45 min I guess.
I sat in the living room in half lotus watching tv. I was bored from tv and started watching the breath while the tv was still running. After some time, I think something about 5 to 10 minutes I switched off the tv and the focus on the breath became very strong and clear almost immediately. I decided to support the focusing with buddho and in the wink of an eye there was buddho in the mind, but not as I usually experienced it. Usually I say buddho to myself in my mind. It's like I would be saying buddho to myself all the time, just not using the mouth but the mind. I'm sure you know what I mean, we do this very often throughout the day, mostly when we are thinking. This time it was more some kind of knowing buddho right in the mind or buddho and mind being one and the same thing. The mind was aware of every breath as well es buddho was following every breath. From one moment to the other there arose pīti. Let me remind you that I thought I never experienced pīti before, and I was right. This was totally different from any sensual pleasure I ever experienced as long as I can remember. After some time, I felt pain in my leg (same way I already discribed it) but the experience again was different. There was the bodily pain and there was a negative feeling like some kind of aversion but that was it. The state of mind didn't alter in any way. Buddho, the breath and the mind "behave" absolutely unchanged, calm and constant. Certainly there was change, e.g. from in-breath to out-breath or from beginning of the in-breath to breathing in to stop of the in-breath, then a small gap, the pain came in waves and felt a bit like some kind of pulsation and so on, but the clarity of the mind watching these phenomena remained unchanged. Some more time went by and then I knew that the pain won't go away as long as I keep sitting unmoved. So I changed positon mindfully and kept on meditating. The pain disappeared slowly and the area where I felt the breath touching the body became more sublte. I sat until my girlfriend came in. After I few minutes I opened my eyes and decided to write this post. The awareness, the developed state of mind faded away slowly but while I'm writing this post now I'm still able to maintain a certain level.
I wanted to share this experience with you. I learned a very important lesson regarding pain. It is a very complex mixture of sensation, feeling and perception. But the important thing is one will only suffer from pain if one picks it up.

best wishes, acinteyyo
Pubbe cāhaṃ bhikkhave, etarahi ca dukkhañceva paññāpemi, dukkhassa ca nirodhaṃ. (M.22)
Api cāhaṃ, āvuso, imasmiṃyeva byāmamatte kaḷevare, sasaññimhi samanake lokañca paññāpemi lokasamudayañca lokanirodhañca lokanirodhagāminiñca paṭipadan. (AN4.45)

:anjali:
acinteyyo

Re: pain and sitting meditation

Postby Moggalana » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:40 pm

:thumbsup:
Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.
Moggalana

Previous

Return to Theravada Meditation