2 questions

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

2 questions

Postby effort » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:13 pm

this is for times that mind is so scattered, the mind wondering i take it back , wondering taking back ,... after a while the mind loose its clarity , its freshness and become blur and dizzy.

the question is : when such a thing happen how to get out of that? do you continue if something like that happen? i do , because if that stopped, mind will become quite quiet. usually lack of sleep or agitated mind could cause it.

and something else:

i think awareness of posture (like sitting) if kept fresh just like the moment that you sat is important and trying to maintain that type of freshness is good for practice but keeping that awareness of sitting posture fresh is hard, the type of awareness changes it become blur not clear or even tracing the body feeling become hard and then after a while you can see that as the start again.

your advice on this one, please . i think lack of regular practice and neglecting daily mindfulness and morality is the cause of such a this reactions.
effort

Re: 2 questions

Postby Ben » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:45 am

Hi effort

Its imperative to maintain morality and daily practice for good results. However, even seasoned meditators do experience trouble as the result of one of the five hindrances manifesting. It appears to me that you may suffer from the hindrance of "sloth and torpor". Some suggested remedies for sloth and torpor is to look at a bright light, splash cold water on your face or to go for a walk. The manifestation of this or that hindrance can be seen as indicative of progress as they arise as a result of applying yourself to practice.
Here is a booklet for you to consider:
The Five Mental Hindrances and Their Conquest Selected Texts from the Pali Canon and the Commentaries compiled and translated by Nyanaponika Thera: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el026.html

with metta

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global Relief

Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby rowyourboat » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:57 pm

I agree with Ben. You are experiencing the early stages of sloth and topor- this is when the meditation object looses its clarity, but you are not quite asleep yet. In some instances it cannot be avoided and you must learn to practice despite it. I used to start meditation, then when I found myself sleepy take a nap and come back to the meditation refreshed.
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
rowyourboat

Postby Vardali » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:22 pm

I have regular bouts of sloth and topor - while at other times my mind is very restless and wants to do stuff (any stuff, so to speak ;) ). What seems to help is distinguishing if it is from some bodily or mental deprivations that can be remedied (as suggested here already, by taking a nap etc.) or whether walking or counting might help to maintain focus.

I am following Ajahn Brahm's advise to show metta to both body and mind when it is feeling dull and not to "battle" it. Usually sometime later, the mind is feeling fresher or it is severe tiredness, then it improves after a good night sleep. :)

Perhaps this helps :)
Vardali

Postby effort » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:02 pm

i always thought that that's due to restlessness and when i just use 'torpor' word i see how effective it is, thanks lot for the advice.

i was interpreting hindrance wrongly.
effort

Return to Theravada Meditation