Meditation question

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

Meditation question

Postby sangyey » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:33 pm

Hi,

I am just wondering if it is okay to meditate with your eyes closed? I recieved instructions on meditation where I was instructed to leave them half open but I find for such things as loving-kindness meditation I prefer eyes-closed. I am just wondering is that's okay?

Thank you

Sangyey
sangyey

Re: Meditation question

Postby bodom » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:44 pm

Of course its ok. If you find yourself becoming sleepy with eyes closed just open them as usual. Find and use what works best for you.

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby Goofaholix » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:16 am

It's much more common to meditate with your eyes closed, though eyes open can be a good antidote for sleepiness.

The trouble with the eyes half open idea is that it takes a bit of attention to maintain the eyelids just right, attention that would probably be better put on the meditation object.
"Whenever we feel that we are definitely right, so much so that we refuse to open up to anything or anybody else, right there we are wrong. It becomes wrong view. When suffering arises, where does it arise from? The cause is wrong view, the fruit of that being suffering. If it was right view it wouldn't cause suffering." - Ajahn Chah
"Remember you dont meditate to get anything, but to get rid of things. We do it, not with desire, but with letting go. If you want anything, you wont find it." - Ajahn Chah
Goofaholix

Postby sangyey » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:19 am

Thank you.
sangyey

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:11 am

Greetings,

Goofaholix wrote:The trouble with the eyes half open idea is that it takes a bit of attention to maintain the eyelids just right, attention that would probably be better put on the meditation object.

Agreed. Also, if you've got your eyes closed, the question of (the volitional act of) blinking is taken out of the equation which is good (unless of course you specifically want to observe it).

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Return to Theravada Meditation