Directed Zazen

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
whitewedding
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Directed Zazen

Postby whitewedding » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:43 am

Hey guys,

This is currently the basis I normally use for meditation now. You can meditate on anything with it. No effort is required in this meditation at all - putting in any effort ruins it.

So I firstly go zazen - just staying continuously mindful of the present moment.

Now - to direct the meditation I just "will" to go in a certain direction. You get better at this as you get more confident that your wills will work (so willing for confidence that your wills will work is good).
The thing that I've seen about the mind is when we will for something to happen (say becoming aware of sensations in a particular part of the body) then we naturally try and do it at the same time. But ironically we shoot ourselves in the foot by doing this - the subconcious mind is far better at doing stuff that the conscious mind.
I'm not really sure how I actually found out how to find pure will - I think is what by trying to do stuff and staying mindful of the process of me trying to do stuff - hence finding the will at the beginning.

You can only will do something when you've found what it is your willing for previously (as in - in the past sometime - not necessarily in that session) and analysed it with mindfulness.

With metta,
Steve.

Return to “Theravada Meditation”