how many different ways did the buddha explain meditation?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

Re: how many different ways did the buddha explain meditation?

Postby dhammastudier » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:30 am

jcsuperstar wrote:from my readings of suttas which it appears that the Buddha spent a lot of time doing walking meditation, maybe it would be helpful to you if you followed in his footsteps :tongue: 555...

good idea :)
dhammastudier

Postby mikenz66 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:40 am

zac wrote:gotcha. well i remember what's IN that book in general, some parts better than others and certainly enough that i don't feel the need to re-read the entire thing.

Hmm, perhaps I'm being too subtle here. What I was trying to gently imply was that a large percentage of the questions asked on this board are actually answered, at least in part, by the Suttas and notes contained in "In the Buddha's Words", and I find it very easy to appear to be moderately knowledgeable by merely consulting the table of contents... :reading:

Mike
:anjali:
mikenz66

Postby Ben » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:48 am

mikenz66 wrote:
zac wrote:gotcha. well i remember what's IN that book in general, some parts better than others and certainly enough that i don't feel the need to re-read the entire thing.

Hmm, perhaps I'm being too subtle here. What I was trying to gently imply was that a large percentage of the questions asked on this board are actually answered, at least in part, by the Suttas and notes contained in "In the Buddha's Words", and I find it very easy to appear to be moderately knowledgeable by merely consulting the table of contents... :reading:

Mike

Mike, not only are you knowledgeable, but your suttamayapunna is well balanced with that wisdom that comes from practice.
Your contributions here are greatly valued.
metta

Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby dhammastudier » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:40 pm

mikenz66 wrote:

Mike

cool, so i could do the same thing! good idea, thanx mike. :)
dhammastudier

Previous

Return to Theravada Meditation