what types of meditation do you do?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

what types of meditation do you do?

Postby dhammastudier » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:44 pm

what types of meditation do you do? what are some books that teach these methods?
just curious, i had another thread similar and the question turned into this one but only after interest in the post had died.

on a side note: why are there a bazillion books on mindfulness of breathing and i've never seen one on anything else? not to say there aren't any on other books on other methods but you have to have noticed that the majority of them on bookshelves or recommended reading lists on buddhism are on breathing. strange.
dhammastudier

Re: what types of meditation do you do?

Postby jcsuperstar » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:48 pm

there are also some books out there on metta

and if you learn Thai you can find books on all sorts of things. one of the reasons I'm stepping up my Thai studies is to read a book on fire kasina practice i found.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby dhammastudier » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:50 pm

jcsuperstar wrote:there are also some books out there on metta

and if you learn Thai you can find books on all sorts of things. one of the reasons I'm stepping up my Thai studies is to read a book on fire kasina practice i found.

cool, so what types do you do?

thanx for the suggestion but i'm not going to learn to speak thai. if i learned a new language every time i wanted to read a book i would always be studying languages. there are hundreds of books in different languages i might want to read. so many that i couldn't be fluent in any but would basically just be translating books for the rest of my life :reading: . i commend you for your drive!
Last edited by dhammastudier on Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhammastudier

Postby jcsuperstar » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:56 pm

right now I'm focused solely on present moment body awareness and breath meditation. but there are other practices I'd like to do/learn more about.

you might look into pa auk sayadaw i think he uses a lot of different techniques, in fact all 40 traditional ones i believe.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby mikenz66 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:57 pm

Hi Zac,

As I said on the other thread, I mostly do Mahasi style practise. This uses motion and sensations in the feet during walking and and motion and sensations of the abdomen when sitting as the most common primary objects. I usually do the same amount of walking as sitting.

So, technically, it's not about anapanasati.

For Mahasi-style practise Bhante Sujiva's book:
Essentials of Insight Meditation Practice - A Pragmatic Approach to Vipassana.
http://buddhistinformation.blogspot.com ... ujiva.html
has a lot of detailed instruction.

U Pandita's book "In this very life" can be bought or read online here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pesala/Pandita/

Part of Mahasi Sayaw's Practical Insight Meditation is here: http://aimwell.org/Books/Mahasi/Practic ... tical.html

Mike
mikenz66

Postby dhammastudier » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:58 pm

jcsuperstar wrote:right now I'm focused solely on present moment body awareness and breath meditation. but there are other practices I'd like to do/learn more about.

you might look into pa auk sayadaw i think he uses a lot of different techniques, in fact all 40 traditional ones i believe.

cool thanx!
dhammastudier

Postby dhammastudier » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:59 pm

mikenz66 wrote:Hi Zac,

As I said on the other thread, I mostly do Mahasi style practise. This uses motion and sensations in the feet during walking and and motion and sensations of the abdomen when sitting as the most common primary objects. I usually do the same amount of walking as sitting.

So, technically, it's not about anapanasati.

For Mahasi-style practise Bhante Sujiva's book:
Essentials of Insight Meditation Practice - A Pragmatic Approach to Vipassana.
http://buddhistinformation.blogspot.com ... ujiva.html
has a lot of detailed instruction.

U Pandita's book "In this very life" can be bought or read online here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pesala/Pandita/

Part of Mahasi Sayaw's Practical Insight Meditation is here: http://aimwell.org/Books/Mahasi/Practic ... tical.html

Mike

great, thanx mike!
dhammastudier

Postby bodom » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:14 pm

I meditate on Buddho in conjunction with the breath and footsteps in meditation and as a Mantra in daily life.

Seeking Buddho - awakened awareness by
Tan Ajahn Anand Akincano
http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Books ... Buddho.htm

Dhamma Teachings of Looang Boo Sim Buddhacaro by Looang Boo Sim
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai ... plyso.html

Buddho by Phra Ajaan Thate Desaransi
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai ... uddho.html

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby Agent » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:41 pm

Just boring old breath meditation for me. ;)

Currently I'm working the Anapanasati Sutta as outlined in Buddhadasa's Mindfulness with Breathing.

To answer your question about why there are so many books on breath meditation, I think it is because the Buddha recommended it as a method that is suitable for everyone while other methods are usually more suitable for certain dispositions.
Vayadhammā saṅkhārā appamādena sampādethā.
Agent

Postby jcsuperstar » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:50 pm

bodom wrote:

is this the same as the book simply so?

[edit]yeah it is, i have the book here next to me and theyre the same. good text!
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

jcsuperstar

Postby bodom » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:59 pm

jcsuperstar wrote:
bodom wrote:

[edit]yeah it is, i have the book here next to me and theyre the same. good text!

Wave sent me a copy of Simply So a few years back and it has been one of my favorite little Dhamma books ever since.

The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby jcsuperstar » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:12 pm

bodom wrote:
jcsuperstar wrote:
bodom wrote:

Wave sent me a copy of Simply So a few years back and it has been one of my favorite little Dhamma books ever since.

yeah thats where i got mine too! maybe in the buddho thread you can post all the texts you know on buddho?

:focus:
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

jcsuperstar

Postby Reductor » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:15 pm

I do breath meditation mostly, but also do the 32 parts which can also lead concentration.

The breath can be pursued in so many ways that it is hard to do it justice, hence the many books.
Michael

The thoughts I've expressed in the above post are carefully considered and offered in good faith.

And friendliness towards the world is happiness for him who is forbearing with living beings. -- Ud. 2:1
To his own ruin the fool gains knowledge, for it cleaves his head and destroys his innate goodness. -- Dhp 72

Reductor

Postby dhammastudier » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:26 pm

thereductor wrote:I do breath meditation mostly, but also do the 32 parts which can also lead concentration.

The breath can be pursued in so many ways that it is hard to do it justice, hence the many books.

cool, and what are the 32 parts??

also i'm glad you answered the second question. i agree, that's probably half the reason, but i think there's got to be more to it than that. maybe it's the most identifiable and simple method?
dhammastudier

Postby dhammastudier » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:27 pm

Agent wrote:Just boring old breath meditation for me. ;)

Currently I'm working the Anapanasati Sutta as outlined in Buddhadasa's Mindfulness with Breathing.

To answer your question about why there are so many books on breath meditation, I think it is because the Buddha recommended it as a method that is suitable for everyone while other methods are usually more suitable for certain dispositions.

cool! me too:) only i'm looking at the sutta in the samyutta nikaya.
dhammastudier

Postby dhammastudier » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:30 pm

bodom wrote:I meditate on Buddho in conjunction with the breath and footsteps in meditation and as a Mantra in daily life.

Seeking Buddho - awakened awareness by
Tan Ajahn Anand Akincano
http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Books ... Buddho.htm

Buddho by Phra Ajaan Thate Desaransi
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai ... uddho.html

oh yeah i know what your talking about. i read a little practice manual on that once. cool stuff! thanx.
dhammastudier

Postby EricJ » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:04 pm

As a beginner, I have been focusing on the samatha variant of anapanasati. I am not practicing a method which is associated with any particular teacher, but I have read various articles and gotten much advice from this wonderful forum, so I think I have the right idea. I decided to focus exclusively on samatha-oriented anapanasati because I believe that it is important for me to develop strong concentration (hopefully approaching sutta-style jhana) before I begin my insight practice. That said, I do try to be aware of anicca, anatta, and dukkha with respect to the sensations I experience in my daily life. I also try to cultivate mindfulness of my body and mind in daily life, in line with satipatthana practice.

In the future, once I have stabilized concentration, I am interested extending my practice to include vipassana and brahmavihara practices. I am also interested in the color/light kasinas, but I didn't think it wise to base my practice as a beginner on a kasina object.
I do not want my house to be walled in on sides and my windows to be stuffed. I want the cultures of all the lands to be blown about my house as freely as possible. But I refuse to be blown off my feet by any.- Gandhi

With persistence aroused for the highest goal's attainment, with mind unsmeared, not lazy in action, firm in effort, with steadfastness & strength arisen, wander alone like a rhinoceros.

Not neglecting seclusion, absorption, constantly living the Dhamma in line with the Dhamma, comprehending the danger in states of becoming, wander alone like a rhinoceros.
- Snp. 1.3
EricJ

Postby dhammastudier » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:56 pm

EricJ wrote:As a beginner, I have been focusing on the samatha variant of anapanasati. I am not practicing a method which is associated with any particular teacher, but I have read various articles and gotten much advice from this wonderful forum, so I think I have the right idea. I decided to focus exclusively on samatha-oriented anapanasati because I believe that it is important for me to develop strong concentration (hopefully approaching sutta-style jhana) before I begin my insight practice. That said, I do try to be aware of anicca, anatta, and dukkha with respect to the sensations I experience in my daily life. I also try to cultivate mindfulness of my body and mind in daily life, in line with satipatthana practice.

In the future, once I have stabilized concentration, I am interested extending my practice to include vipassana and brahmavihara practices. I am also interested in the color/light kasinas, but I didn't think it wise to base my practice as a beginner on a kasina object.

interesting! sounds like you have a very full plate and a great adventure ahead of you! ironically for the non-buddhist world the word adventure would never apply to sitting quietly on the floor but i think it applies here considering how exciting it can be to feel the results of meditation and the purifying effect of practicing the precepts.
dhammastudier

Postby oceanmen » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:25 am

vipassana
oceanmen

Postby dhammastudier » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:50 pm

oceanmen wrote:vipassana

great! thanx.
dhammastudier

Next

Return to Theravada Meditation