what types of meditation do you do?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

Re: what types of meditation do you do?

Postby Goedert » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:10 am

Hello friend,

1st Metta;
2nd Samadhi;
3rd Vipassina.
Goedert

Postby dhammastudier » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:20 pm

Goedert wrote:Hello friend,

1st Metta;
2nd Samadhi;
3rd Vipassina.

cool so that's like your daily session?
dhammastudier

Postby shurangama » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:25 pm

Can mantra be used combined with breath awareness to achieve Jhana? I have tried using the technique of paying attention to the breath as it enters and leaves the nostrils. This has caused the feeling that my respiration has stopped, extending the time of my norman respiration four fold? Has anyone elese experienced this. I have found that focusing on the navel center (hara) brings more calm for me. Any thoughts
shurangama

Postby jcsuperstar » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:32 pm

i wouldn't worry too much about jhana but yes 1st jhana then the mantra needs to be dropped. buddho can be used. have you read ajahn Buddhadasa's book on anapanasati? it deals with the problem your facing

http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/anapanasati.pdf
Last edited by jcsuperstar on Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby nitthuracitta » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:58 am

anapanasati,maranasati and focus the mind on "what's dukkha?!!" :clap: :clap: :clap:
nitthuracitta

Postby salmon » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:15 am

Depends on the state of my mind at the point in time. I usually try to maintain mindfulness throughout the day, as and when I remember to :tongue: ... however, when I do some formal sitting, I will use one of the below 2 strategies:-

- If I've had a rough day and my mind is abuzz, I'll do mainly "object" based meditation (eg. breath, bones, light, etc).
- If I've had a relatively relaxed day and the mind is calm, I'll do more "observation" based meditation (eg. mind states, rising & falling of conditions, etc).
~ swimming upstream is tough work! ~
salmon

Previous

Return to Theravada Meditation