Focused & Fearless

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

Focused & Fearless

Postby Collective » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:03 am

Would someone be so kind as to give me some background on this book: Focused & Fearless

I'm practicing Vipassana, is this book recommended?

Thanks all
User avatar
Collective
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:12 am

Re: Focused & Fearless

Postby Moggalana » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:10 am

This book is about the cultivation of jhanas and how to use the power of deep samadhi to gain insight. It is really good. But if you are taking a (dry) vipassana approach, it might not be the best book for you. I do not know what your practice is, but there comes a point when it's best to stick with one practice for a while and see where that gets you.
Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.
Moggalana
 
Posts: 331
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:31 am
Location: Germany

Re: Focused & Fearless

Postby Collective » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:36 pm

Moggalana wrote:This book is about the cultivation of jhanas and how to use the power of deep samadhi to gain insight. It is really good. But if you are taking a (dry) vipassana approach, it might not be the best book for you. I do not know what your practice is, but there comes a point when it's best to stick with one practice for a while and see where that gets you.

I'm re-reading Mindfulness in Plain English.

It's to do with vipassana so I think I'd best stick to that one

Thanks again :)
User avatar
Collective
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:12 am

Re: Focused & Fearless

Postby Srotapanna » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:46 am

Srotapanna
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 3:04 am

Re: Focused & Fearless

Postby bodom » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:11 am

Collective wrote:
Moggalana wrote:This book is about the cultivation of jhanas and how to use the power of deep samadhi to gain insight. It is really good. But if you are taking a (dry) vipassana approach, it might not be the best book for you. I do not know what your practice is, but there comes a point when it's best to stick with one practice for a while and see where that gets you.

I'm re-reading Mindfulness in Plain English.

It's to do with vipassana so I think I'd best stick to that one

Thanks again :)


Have you read Bhante G's Beyond Mindfulness in Plain English?


:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
User avatar
bodom
 
Posts: 4613
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: San Antonio, Texas

Re: Focused & Fearless

Postby Collective » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:19 pm

bodom wrote:
Collective wrote:
Moggalana wrote:This book is about the cultivation of jhanas and how to use the power of deep samadhi to gain insight. It is really good. But if you are taking a (dry) vipassana approach, it might not be the best book for you. I do not know what your practice is, but there comes a point when it's best to stick with one practice for a while and see where that gets you.

I'm re-reading Mindfulness in Plain English.

It's to do with vipassana so I think I'd best stick to that one

Thanks again :)


Have you read Bhante G's Beyond Mindfulness in Plain English?


:anjali:

Can't say I have. That's on my 'to do' list now.

Thank you
User avatar
Collective
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:12 am


Return to Theravada Meditation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests