Radio doco on 62-day retreat with Sayadaw U Pandita

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

Radio doco on 62-day retreat with Sayadaw U Pandita

Postby Ben » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:06 am

Hi all

I just listened to a replay of the radio documentary "Tracing Silence" about one person's experience in a 62-day silent vipassana retreat with Sayadaw U Pandita in Burma. Well worth the listen.

In late 2001 writer Hamish Sewell travelled from Brisbane to Burma to undertake nine weeks of Satipatthana Buddhist meditation. For most Australians Burma -- Myanmar -- remains a place of mystery, best known for SLORC and the long term house arrest of Aung Sun Suu Kyi.
For Hamish Sewell and his fellow meditators from America, New Zealand, Portugal, Japan, Vietnam, Poland, Holland and England, Burma was to be a place of long silences and an inward journey at the Hse Main Gon meditation centre, an hour and a half to the north of Rangoon.

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/arts/radioeye/ ... 549879.htm[/quote]
kind regards

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Re: Radio doco on 62-day retreat with Sayadaw U Pandita

Postby upekkha » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:40 am

Nice one Ben, How did you find this?
upekkha

Postby Ben » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:58 am

Hi upekkha

I have my radio tuned to radio national and I usually listen to it while I'm doing the cooking. It usually has interesting programs on and it wasn't a surprise to me when I tuned in this afternoon. After the program finished I went to the website and pleased to see that the doco is downloadable and thee are a number of other resources available on the program page.
kind regards

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby mikenz66 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:10 am

Thanks Ben. That's one of the best radio programmes I've ever heard on actual practice.

Mike
mikenz66

Postby Modus.Ponens » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:43 pm

Thanks Ben.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"
Modus.Ponens

Postby appicchato » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:15 am

:thumbsup:
appicchato

Return to Theravada Meditation