what's your hindrance?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

what's your hindrance?

1.Sensual desire (kāmacchanda)
22%
2.Anger or ill-will (byāpāda, vyāpāda)
22%
3.Sloth-torpor or boredom (thīna-middha)
34%
4.Restlessness-worry (uddhacca-kukkucca)
20%
5.Doubt (vicikicchā)
2%

Total votes : 41

Re: what's your hindrance?

Postby Annapurna » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:07 am

I used to be lazy, but now it's:

Restlessness and worry.

Part of growing up, I think, I have more responsibilities and I often worry if I'll get everything done...:roll:

Good food is important to... :embarassed:
http://www.schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/
Annapurna

Postby jcsuperstar » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:14 am

thereductor wrote: I recall the Dhamma to mind by thinking of how I would explain it to this person or that in my life.

i do that at times too. weird
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby Reductor » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:35 pm

jcsuperstar wrote:
thereductor wrote: I recall the Dhamma to mind by thinking of how I would explain it to this person or that in my life.

i do that at times too. weird

Weird nothing! Great minds... and all that! :D

I've tried recalling the Dhamma to mind without this mental soapbox but find it hard to do. But by having a certain personality in mind I can imagine questions and doubts from their perspective, which I then 'answer'.
Michael

The thoughts I've expressed in the above post are carefully considered and offered in good faith.

And friendliness towards the world is happiness for him who is forbearing with living beings. -- Ud. 2:1
To his own ruin the fool gains knowledge, for it cleaves his head and destroys his innate goodness. -- Dhp 72

Reductor

Postby jcsuperstar » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:53 pm

i do it with more practice now after an event a couple years ago while i was living in a Thai temple.

we had just finished chanting and meditating and it was time for the dhamma talk, which was usually in Thai then a monk would sum it up for me. this night the monks started speaking in English first "tonight we will have our dhamma talk in English"
aww i though that's nice of them, but so unnecessary, but then i noticed they weren't talking, they were looking at me, and so were the people visiting the temple.
i was to give the dhamma talk. right then, right there having never been asked or prepared or even have imagined such a thing could happen...
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby Ben » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:51 am

jcsuperstar wrote:i do it with more practice now after an event a couple years ago while i was living in a Thai temple.

we had just finished chanting and meditating and it was time for the dhamma talk, which was usually in Thai then a monk would sum it up for me. this night the monks started speaking in English first "tonight we will have our dhamma talk in English"
aww i though that's nice of them, but so unnecessary, but then i noticed they weren't talking, they were looking at me, and so were the people visiting the temple.
i was to give the dhamma talk. right then, right there having never been asked or prepared or even have imagined such a thing could happen...

Wow!
How was it JC?
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Guy » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:07 am

thereductor wrote:I've tried recalling the Dhamma to mind without this mental soapbox but find it hard to do. But by having a certain personality in mind I can imagine questions and doubts from their perspective, which I then 'answer'.

I am a mental-soapboxer too, especially on retreat.
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
Guy

Postby jcsuperstar » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:03 am

Ben wrote:
jcsuperstar wrote:i do it with more practice now after an event a couple years ago while i was living in a Thai temple.

Wow!
How was it JC?

horrible

i just tried to stick to the 8FP and ask questions to get people to talk for me in a way, sorta a Socratic method type of thing :tongue:
i think i made a girl mad by kinda implying she was practicing wrong livelihood too :oops:
one other time i was asked to talk i just talked about the breath, how the breath was a refuge, when we're angry or hurt we can always just come to the breath, i thought that was pretty good, but then a guy said when he meditates he sees scary stuff and alas my thunder was stolen..
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

jcsuperstar

Postby Reductor » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:02 am

Aie! That's a tough situation, JC. The hardest talk I ever had to give was a 3 minute presentation on septic shock. :tongue: I fumbled that one.

Guy wrote:
thereductor wrote:I've tried recalling the Dhamma to mind without this mental soapbox but find it hard to do. But by having a certain personality in mind I can imagine questions and doubts from their perspective, which I then 'answer'.

I am a mental-soapboxer too, especially on retreat.

Thank your stars I don't break out my online soapbox to often!

:jumping:

I don't mind talking Dhamma to people that I know, but I never feel that I've done it justice.
Michael

The thoughts I've expressed in the above post are carefully considered and offered in good faith.

And friendliness towards the world is happiness for him who is forbearing with living beings. -- Ud. 2:1
To his own ruin the fool gains knowledge, for it cleaves his head and destroys his innate goodness. -- Dhp 72

Reductor

Postby jcsuperstar » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:09 am

dhamma talks are hard, I've heard talks by respected monks on topics I'm really interested in and been like, jeez when is this gonna end? i kind of think about it like music now, there are different styles that appeal to different people, talent really doesn't not play into it at all, just like there are many talented musicians whose music i abhor there are many learned monks who i cant stand listening to dhamma talks from.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

jcsuperstar

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:13 am

Greetings,

jcsuperstar wrote:there are many learned monks who i cant stand listening to dhamma talks from.

Including.... those.... who.... talk..... really..... really..... slow....

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby mikenz66 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:32 am

Hi JC,

That sounds great.

I presume you've heard stories from Ajahn Brahm etc, how back in the 70s with Ajahn Chah they would get told to do the talk tonight (in Thai of course). I think it was Ajahn Brahm who said that he gave a one hour talk and was told to do another hour, and then another...

One time when Ajahn Tiradhammo visited our Wat briefly he gave a talk mostly in Thai (with occasional English summaries) which impressed the Thai lay people, so it does seem to work...

Mike
mikenz66

Postby jcsuperstar » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:46 am

yeah, once i heard on mp3 a story where he (ajahn brahm) gave a talk in Thailand and people afterwards were congratulating him on his great Pali, when he in fact wasn't talking in Pali but in Thai, so it turned out his Thai was so poor that no one had any idea what he was talking about :tongue:
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

jcsuperstar

Postby mettafuture » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:35 pm

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

jcsuperstar wrote:there are many learned monks who i cant stand listening to dhamma talks from.

Including.... those.... who.... talk..... really..... really..... slow....

Metta,
Retro. :)

:rofl:

I respect their knowledge, but I'm not enlightened enough to listen to someone who is speaking 5 words per minute.
mettafuture

Postby mikenz66 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:49 pm

Do people who have trouble with slowish speech have difficulty when it is live, or only in recordings? They tend to be two very different types of listening for me (unless I make the effort to sit down and not think of anything else). Live, with visual clues, and the whole "occasion" of the talk, it's much easier for me to fully concentrate on the meaning and let it sink in. It's also helpful if you've seen the speaker, or a similar speaker, live, to get used to that sort of pace. :sage:

My patience has been vastly extended by spending time in situations where I don't even understand much of what is being spoken (because it is in Thai or Chinese, with some translation if I'm lucky...), so the fact that the speech is in English is a positive for me... :woohoo:

By the way, if you find a recorded speech too slow there are simple technical solutions to speed it up without changing the pitch. Many MP3 hardware and software players have an option to do this, or you can use software like audacity to create a new file. I recall when I wanted to put Bhikkhu Bodhi's ancient ten-lecture series of talks onto CDs I sped up a couple of talks that otherwise ran longer than one CD...

Mike
mikenz66

Postby alan » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:43 am

Re: Dhamma Talks.
To: All Teachers.
Sirs,
Get right to the point. No parenthetical thoughts unless they are entertaining.
Speak clearly and carry a big stick. Tell us what you think, not what you've been conditioned to say. And please, no intellectual ramblings. Your topic should relate to something in the experience of the listener.
Finally, keep in mind this adage: if you can't make a good point or two in 20 minutes, you can't do it in 2 hours.

Regards,
Long-suffering listeners all over the internets.
alan

Postby jcsuperstar » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:50 am

i like how this thread is so off topic, i should probably start a new one ...

but speakers i do like are-

ajaan Thanissaro -his talks are mostly short, and his voice is IMO awesome for dhamma talks
ajahn Sujato- also pretty good voice, doesn't have super long talks
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

jcsuperstar

Postby alan » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:56 am

Before starting a new topic do you have some links to Sujato?
alan

Postby jcsuperstar » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:57 am

alan wrote:Before starting a new topic do you have some links to Sujato?

http://www.dhammanet.org/news.php
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

jcsuperstar

Postby Monkey Mind » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:09 am

mikenz66 wrote:Do people who have trouble with slowish speech have difficulty when it is live, or only in recordings? They tend to be two very different types of listening for me (unless I make the effort to sit down and not think of anything else). Live, with visual clues, and the whole "occasion" of the talk, it's much easier for me to fully concentrate on the meaning and let it sink in. It's also helpful if you've seen the speaker, or a similar speaker, live, to get used to that sort of pace.

I have heard Ajahn Sumedho speak via mp3. Like someone else suggested, I actually sped up his talk with the software. Recently I was able to see him speak in person. What I couldn't "see" via the recording... When he is speaking slowly, he is grinning like a Cheshire Cat and looking at each person in the audience. It was really very intriguing.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
Monkey Mind

Postby alan » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:20 am

Ajahn Sumedho puts me to sleep. It may just be the nature of the talks---meant for the people in the room---just don't play well as audio downloads.

Thanks JC for the link.
alan

Previous

Return to Theravada Meditation