Order of Meditation?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

Order of Meditation?

Postby theravada_guy » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:28 pm

Greetings all,

I am reading the book "Good Question, Good Answer" by Ven. S. Dhammika. I read the chapter on meditation today. In this chapter, the author says the order of meditation is this: First, mindfulness of breathing meditation is cultivated. Once this has been practiced regularly, loving-kindness meditation then begins, and finally insight meditation. Is this the order one should pursue this, or does it really matter? I have gone over bodom's thread that lists recommended meditation books and found there are quite a few I would like to pick up, that I didn't even know existed. I don't meditate with any regularity, but I do try and sit and do the breathing meditation every now and then. "The breathing meditation"...Wow, you can tell I'm not too knowledgeable about this subject! :tongue: It is something I plan on taking up more seriously, after I read some more about it.

Thanks guys.
With metta,

Justin
theravada_guy

Re: Order of Meditation?

Postby jcsuperstar » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:39 pm

i would pick a meditation tradition and go by it's guidelines rather than just take bits and pieces from here or there. its very beneficial to master one thing before playing around with other styles.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Return to Theravada Meditation