Anapanasati Sutta Commentary

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

Anapanasati Sutta Commentary

Postby bodom » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:58 pm

Im looking for recommendations on an academic, scholarly yet practical commentary on the Anapanasati Sutta. One in the same vein as Analayo's Satipatthana commentary. Those who are familiar with Analayo's work will know what I mean. Oh and yes I have already read Buddhadasa's and Rosenberg's. Thanks in advance.

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Re: Anapanasati Sutta Commentary

Postby jcsuperstar » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:57 pm

have you seen this one?
Mindfulness of Breathing
Bhikkhu Nanamoli
This book brings together the most important suttas from the Pali Canon and extracts from the commentaries dealing with anapanasati the meditative practice of mindfulness of breathing.

http://www.bps.lk/meditation.asp
and online
http://books.google.com/books?printsec=frontcover&id=NVfgV9kyISwC#v=onepage&q&f=false
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby bodom » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:23 pm

I forgot about that one. Definitely worth looking into. Thanks.

The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby Aerok » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:58 am

SATHU SATHU

Mindfulness of Breathing Buddhist text from the Bali Canon and commentaries(Sareebhutta Bhikkhu) Transalated by Bhikkhu Nanamoli 1952

; http://books.google.com/books?printsec= ... &q&f=false

page 49 : Last paragraph

The nine way of knowing

(a) He breathes in a long in-breath reckoned as a long extent.

(b) He breathes out a long out-breath reckoned as a long extent.

....etc.

:namaste:
Last edited by Aerok on Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Aerok

Postby Ben » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:15 am

Hi Bodom

I imagine you are already familiar with Ledi Sayadaw's Anapana Dipani?

hardcopy from pariyatti:
http://www.pariyatti.org/Bookstore/prod ... fm?PC=1130

fulltext online:
http://aimwell.org/Books/Ledi/Anapanasa ... asati.html

kind regards

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Heraclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby bodom » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:50 am

I sure am Ben thank you. Started it last night. It is as excellent as his other works.

bodom

Postby jcsuperstar » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:06 am

i cant believe i forgot to mention that one. it's good and short too!
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Return to Theravada Meditation