Finding a meditation friend

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
unspoken

Finding a meditation friend

Post by unspoken »

Hi, I've been practicing vipassana meditation for around 2weeks. I have not much problem of vippassana meditation. What I wanted to try out was the Jhana meditation. I read quite some articles on it online and found out it could improve the concentration of one and advance his/her vipassana. So is there anyone which have experience on it and maybe pass through 4th Jhana or more could guide me? I am really in a mist of confusion about entering and exceeding Jhanas. Please pm me if you really could help me >.<

~ Sukhi Hotu
IanAnd

Re: Finding a meditation friend

Post by IanAnd »

unspoken wrote:I've been practicing vipassana meditation for around 2weeks. What I wanted to try out was the Jhana meditation. I read quite some articles on it online and found out it could improve the concentration of one and advance his/her vipassana. So is there anyone which have experience on it and maybe pass through 4th Jhana or more could guide me?
With all due respect for your enthusiasm and good intentions to learn, for a person in your position, being new to the practice of meditation and wanting to learn about a difficult meditation technique to explain in person much less online, you're best bet for a "meditation friend" would be to find and attend a workshop or retreat on jhana meditation and obtain direct hands on help and assistance. Trying to learn about this tricky meditation instruction online can be even more confusing than helpful.

I'm an experienced jhana practitioner and even I wouldn't presume to be able to help a person like yourself online. There are just too many variables in communication of experience to handle with online exchanges. And what's more, I detect a language barrier. English is not your native language. You're better off finding an experienced practitioner who is a speaker of your native language who can better relate to and assist you in person.

It's kind of a discouraging message to have to bring. But it's the most honest evaluation of your situation.

Good luck in your search.
"The gift of truth exceeds all other gifts" — Dhammapada, v. 354 Craving XXIV
Goedert

Re: Finding a meditation friend

Post by Goedert »

Hello friend,

The above post was excellent. Thats "my" advice to you too.

If you want to calm your mind and have some concentration, focus all your attention in the in breath and out breath, feel it, expirience it, when thoughts come, let them go and try to maintain the focus.

Remember the above post of our friend, it is the best.