Metta bhavana

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
cooran

Re: Metta bhavana

Post by cooran »

Hello Stefan,

How is your metta practice going? I wonder if you saw this thread with links to a talk by Ajahn Sujato on Unconditional Love - Metta?
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2810" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta :-)
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Hi All
I find metta practice is often limited to the cushion. This maybe because the 'on-cushion' metta is 'free-floating' ie- it is not directed at a solid object. I think people should develop metta even for a split second to someone who is in front of them, thereby training their minds to link up people/animals with a sense of metta towards those people/animals.

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
mirco

Post by mirco »

rowyourboat wrote:Hi All
I find metta practice is often limited to the cushion. This maybe because the 'on-cushion' metta is 'free-floating' ie- it is not directed at a solid object. I think people should develop metta even for a split second to someone who is in front of them, thereby training their minds to link up people/animals with a sense of metta towards those people/animals.
Hi Matheesha,

you're so right! I'm doing that since about on and a half year and it really enhances my life and the life of the people around me plus my awareness in sitting meditation became so much sharper, because remembering to let go and send metta to myself and to the people around me actually is the best meditation exercise, no matter if one is standing, walking, sitting, lying, cycling, driving - whatever.

Dhamma Talks: Metta in Daily Life

Be Well, always, Mirco :-)