Basic instructions on how to apply any meditation object?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
mettafuture
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Basic instructions on how to apply any meditation object?

Postby mettafuture » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:24 pm

Are there any modern, easy to read (or listen to), basic instructions on how to apply the various meditation objects outlined in the suttas?

I've already talked to teachers, and I already have some methods that I use. I'm just looking to compare the approach I use with other approaches. I was also curious to know if there was a kind of template for applying any meditation object.

rowyourboat
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1

Re: Basic instructions on how to apply any meditation object?

Postby rowyourboat » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 pm

You can focus your mindfulness/awareness on it (samatha -vipassana), or you can contemplate (think) about it (yonisomanasikara). I don't know of any other way, other than this.
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

bodom
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

Postby bodom » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:44 pm

Are there any modern, easy to read (or listen to), basic instructions on how to apply the various meditation objects outlined in the suttas?

Recommended reading
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=341

I was also curious to know if there was a kind of template for applying any meditation object.

From Visuddhimagga:

Meditation subjects and temperaments

Greedy: the ten foulness meditations; or, body contemplation.
Hating: the four brahma-viharas; or, the four color kasinas.
Deluded: mindfulness of breath.
Faithful: the first six recollections.
Intelligent: recollection of death or peace; the perception of disgust of food; or, the analysis of the four elements.
Speculative: mindfulness of breath.

The six non-color kasinas and the four formless states are suitable for all temperaments.

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah

mettafuture

Postby mettafuture » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:30 am

rowyourboat wrote:You can focus your mindfulness/awareness on it (samatha -vipassana), or you can contemplate (think) about it (yonisomanasikara). I don't know of any other way, other than this.

But how, exactly? Let's say I wanted to recollect the Buddha, or contemplate impermanence. How would I go about doing that? Has anyone in the last 100 years written any step by step instructions on how to do this?

bodom wrote:

Recommended reading
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=341

I have to read all of those books to find the answer? :(

I was also curious to know if there was a kind of template for applying any meditation object.

From Visuddhimagga:

Meditation subjects and temperaments

Greedy: the ten foulness meditations; or, body contemplation.
Hating: the four brahma-viharas; or, the four color kasinas.
Deluded: mindfulness of breath.
Faithful: the first six recollections.
Intelligent: recollection of death or peace; the perception of disgust of food; or, the analysis of the four elements.
Speculative: mindfulness of breath.

The six non-color kasinas and the four formless states are suitable for all temperaments.

I know of the remedies. Asubha nimitta counters sensual desire, metta counters ill-will, the 3 elements of energy counter drowsiness, anapanasati can counter restlessness, and the 10 recollections counter doubt.

But are there any direct instructions available on how one can take 1 of the 40 meditation objects, and meditate on it?

bodom
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

Postby bodom » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:42 am

But are there any direct instructions available on how one can take 1 of the 40 meditation objects, and meditate on it?

If you dont want to read all the above recommended books then read the Visuddhimagga which gives instructions on all 40 meditation subjects.

The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah

mettafuture

Postby mettafuture » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:50 am

bodom wrote:

If you dont want to read all the above recommended books then read the Visuddhimagga which gives instructions on all 40 meditation subjects.

My follow up question was going to be "are there any modern books that give instruction on the 40 objects of meditation", but then I remembered your reply from another thread --

bodom wrote:Off the top of my head, Khantipalo's Practical Advice for Meditators touches on the Six Recollections, Pandita's The State of Mind Called Beautiful gives instructions on the recollection of the Buddha and the Dhamma. Read the Visuddhimagga for the most detailed explanation of the recollections. As far as working with the hindrances and fetters, I have found both of Bhante G's books helpful as well as Pure and Simple by Upasika Nanayon, Mindfulness, Bliss, and Beyond by Brahm, The Way of Mindfulness by Soma Thera,all of Chah's..I mean I could go on and list all the books I already recommended. Thats why I recommended them in the first place! Hope you find them as helpful as I did.

This time I'm looking for something a little more specific. I'm looking for a kind of template, a foundational teaching that can be applied or plugged into 1 of the 40 objects of meditation. Does one exist?

Return to “Theravada Meditation”