Aids to anapanasati

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

Aids to anapanasati

Postby Spiny O'Norman » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:39 am

I'd be interested to share ideas and experience for techniques which assist with the development of mindfulness of breathing practice.

The ones I've come across are listed below, but I'm sure there are others and would be interested to hear about them - also about what you've found most useful.

1. Counting techniques ( there are several );
2. Listening to the breath;
3. Following the breath ( from the tip of the nose to the abdomen and back );
4. Guarding the breath ( focussing on the tip of the nose );
5. Deliberately regulating the breath for short periods.

Spiny
Spiny O'Norman

Re: Aids to anapanasati

Postby Sanghamitta » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:42 am

Related to anapanasati but more indirectly, awareness of the rise and fall of the abdomen.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Sanghamitta

Postby bodom » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:59 pm

Two syllables...

'Bud-dho'

'Bud' on the in breath, 'dho' on the out breath.

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby bodom » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:45 pm

*Quick note to participants in this thread that ive moved the posts discussing 'buddho' to the Buddho Thread:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2552

Please feel free to continue the discussion on the 'buddho' technique there.

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby 5heaps » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:05 pm

dont forget that the time in between sessions is just as important if not more than the actual meditation session. therefore guard the mind, build renunciation, build love + compassion, etc.
aside from that a good trick is to set a sophisticated intention before the meditation session. the better the mind is at the start of the meditation, the better the meditation.

for actual technique, spending 5min on a bodyscan at the start is a rapid way of getting the mind off habitually making concepts. since the body is in the present moment, moving from concepts which are aimed at the past and the future to the body for a short while achieves a lot already.

finally, once you have your object, dont change it and dont move off it
A Japanese man has been arrested on suspicion of writing a computer virus that destroys and replaces files on a victim PC with manga images of squid, octopuses and sea urchins. Masato Nakatsuji, 27, of Izumisano, Osaka Prefecture, was quoted as telling police: "I wanted to see how much my computer programming skills had improved since the last time I was arrested."
5heaps

Postby Spiny O'Norman » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:37 am

5heaps wrote:dont forget that the time in between sessions is just as important if not more than the actual meditation session. therefore guard the mind, build renunciation, build love + compassion, etc.

I agree. Actually I sometimes think that the main point of sitting meditation is to provide the foundation for mindfulness and insight off the cushion.

Spiny
Spiny O'Norman

Postby Spiny O'Norman » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:39 am

1. Counting techniques ( there are several );
2. Listening to the breath;
3. Following the breath ( from the tip of the nose to the abdomen and back );
4. Guarding the breath ( focussing on the tip of the nose );
5. Deliberately regulating the breath for short periods.
6. Using a mantra like "Buddho";
7. Watching the movement of the abdomen;
8. Preparation eg using body-scan;

Any more? :smile:

Spiny
Spiny O'Norman

Return to Theravada Meditation