Sampajanna ?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
fijiNut

Sampajanna ?

Post by fijiNut »

Is this bare awareness/attention that has no discursive thoughts, without inner verbal commentary grounded on a frame of reference i.e sensations(Goenka), mental noting (Mahasi), or breath (Anapanasati) based on all four postures?

I would appreciate it if somebody could provide more links on this practice or clarify my understanding.

thanks,
fijiNut
Jechbi

Re: Sampajanna ?

Post by Jechbi »

http://www.vri.dhamma.org/research/90sem/sampa2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

plus this.

Metta
:smile:
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
Element

Post by Element »

fijiNut wrote:Is this bare awareness/attention that has no discursive thoughts, without inner verbal commentary grounded on a frame of reference i.e sensations(Goenka), mental noting (Mahasi), or breath (Anapanasati) based on all four postures?

I would appreciate it if somebody could provide more links on this practice or clarify my understanding.

thanks,
fijiNut
Hi Fiji

Sampajanna implies active wisdom or comprehending clearly.

This link is one perspective.

Sampajanna can manifest as bare awareness but is not bare awareness itself.

Bare awareness is an aspect of samadhi.

Sati-sampajanna support samadhi.

Best wishes

Element
fijiNut

Post by fijiNut »

Thank you for the link element,
A knife needs both properties; the mind is the same. To do what it needs to do the mind requires both samädhi and paññä. You might wonder what it is that cuts, is it the knife's weight or its sharpness? If you can understand this, it will be easier for you to understand how Dhamma cuts through problems, that is, mental defilements. In the moment of sampajanna's activity, both samädhi, and paññä are working together to slice through the problem. They're interconnected and, in practice, can't be separated.
This is particularly interesting for me. After coming out of a 10 day retreat last year october, this pervasive awareness of touch of breath (while awake) has stuck with me, and I'm continually shocked by the number of defilements that arise throughout the day... observing breath, observing defilements, what a fun job! Slowly tiring out the monkey mind. (Note:slowly)