Recollect peaceful state of mind as meditation object?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
starter

Recollect peaceful state of mind as meditation object?

Postby starter » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:22 pm

Hello friends,

I feel that recalling the blissful peaceful state of mind (which was experienced previously) and maintaining such a state with silent mental citing of "Peace" is very helpful to tranquilize the mind to enter samadhi especially when breath is not detectable. I suppose this method is close to Upasamanussati, and have searched several websites (including our forum) for relevant info but have only found the deficition of Upasamanussati [Recollection of peacefulness (the virtues of nibbana — ultimate pleasure; unexcelled ease, free from birth, aging, illness and death); Reflecting repeatedly with serious attentiveness on the supreme spiritual blissful state of Nirvana] and a chanting on it:

UPASAMîNUSSATI
(Recollection of Peace)
[Handa mayaμ upasamOEnussatinayaμ bhaöOEma se]
[Now let us chant a Remembrance of Peacefulness.]
Etaμ santaμ This is peace,
Etaμ paöãtaμ This is sublime,
Yadida§ Namely, the nature which is
Sabbasaºkhàrasamatho The calming of all concocting,
SabbèpadhipaÊinissaggo The tossing away of all fuel,
Taõhakhayo The destruction of craving,
VirOEgo The fading away of clinging,
Nirodho The quenching of dukkha,
NibbOEnaμ Coolness.

I remember "Path of Purification" mentioned Anguttara sutta when introducing Upasamanussati, but I couldn't locate the sutta online. Can some friend provide this sutta and/or other suttas related to Upasamanussati? It seems to me that the method I'm using is not really Upasamanussati, since I'm not recollecting the various virtues of nibbana but rather the blissful peaceful state of mind I experienced before by citing "Peace". I'd greatly appreciate the relevant info on "my" method as well.

By the way, I wonder if the Buddha taught making peace an abiding (in addition to the 4 divine abidings), the mind's constant dwelling place where we feel at home.

With Metta,

Starter
Last edited by starter on Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goofaholix

Re: Recollect peaceful state of mind as meditation object?

Postby Goofaholix » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:56 pm

Sounds like an exercise in encouraging clinging to me.

texastheravadin

Postby texastheravadin » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:27 pm

"Indeed, the Blessed One is worthy and rightly self-awakened, consummate in knowledge & conduct, well-gone, an expert with regard to the world, unexcelled as a trainer for those people fit to be tamed, the Teacher of divine & human beings, awakened, blessed." — AN 11.12

starter

Postby starter » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:24 am

Hello Texastheravadin,

Many thanks for the very helpful post. I only found the following two passages in "Ten Recollections":

"Recollection of Stilling

This is peace, this is exquisite — the stilling of all fabrications, the relinquishment of all acquisitions, the ending of craving, dispassion, cessation, Unbinding.' — MN 64 [I recollect this paragraph often during meditation]

Among whatever qualities (dhammas) there may be, fabricated or unfabricated, the quality of dispassion — the subduing of intoxication, the elimination of thirst, the uprooting of attachment, the breaking of the round, the destruction of craving, dispassion, cessation, the realization of Unbinding — is considered supreme. Those who have confidence in the quality of dispassion have confidence in what is supreme; and for those with confidence in the supreme, supreme is the result. — Iti 90" [This paragraph is too long to recollect during meditation]

The reason I'm not recollecting the various virtues of nibbana but rather the peaceful state of mind I experienced before: after breath disappears, I need to focus on a single simple meditation object to enter samadhi, instead of scattering my awareness in the multiple qualities of nibbana. I tried to focus on the whole body [mindful of "there is a body"] or imagine the whole body breathes in/out, but distractive thoughts could occur. Recollection of the peaceful state of mind could better maintain the stillness of the mind in this situation. Since my focus now is samadhi, not vipassana, I suppose as long as a method can better induce samadhi, it might be fine (?). After my concentration is deepened, I can turn around to use vipassana to analyze its drawbacks.

Hello Goofaholix: thanks for your comment as well.

Metta,

Starter

Individual

Postby Individual » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:13 am

The best things in life aren't things.

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:03 pm

When the breath vanishes, it is important to intentionally start it up again - or otherwise many people tend to 'get lost in the bliss'. Contemplating the qualities of nibbana at this point is not a suitable or productive exercise at this point. The breath stopping suggests that you are about 30% of the way to the first jhana. It is good progress, so it is not the time to abandon the breath! You and the breath have many more adventures to face together in the future :smile:

The breath stopping suggests that you have completed the first 4 steps of the anapanasati development as mentioned in the anapanasati sutta. The next bit you need to look for is piti and sukha in your mind, alongside feeling the breath.

Good luck!

With metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

Goofaholix

Postby Goofaholix » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:17 pm

starter

Postby starter » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:19 am

Goofaholix

Postby Goofaholix » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:43 am

Individual

Postby Individual » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:19 am

Individual

Postby Individual » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:30 am

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:21 am

With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

Goofaholix

Postby Goofaholix » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:45 pm

Sein

Postby Sein » Tue May 24, 2016 1:08 am

I think upasamanussati should be do just like in Iti 90. It's like metta meditation. You repeat the sentence/word a certain time. Then keep the state of mind as meditation object. This should be a supportive mediation for your main object.
From what I understand of your post. You are recollecting on the experience of samadhi - stillness. I don't know much about Pali, but from the sutta I think it's more than just stillness.

1. Yāvatā, bhikkhave, dhammā saṅkhatā vā asaṅkhatā vā : Whatever states there are, whether conditioned or unconditioned
2. virāgo tesaṃ aggamakkhāyati : of these, detachment is reckoned foremost.

3. yadidaṃ madanimmadano : subduing of vanity, subduing of intoxication
4. pipāsavinayo : elimination of thirst
5. ālayasamugghāto : uprooting of attachment, removal of reliance
6. vaṭṭupacchedo : the breaking of the round (of rebirths)
7. taṇhakkhayo : the destruction of craving
8. virāgo : dispassion, detachment
9. nirodho nibbānaṃ : cessation, Nibbāna

10.Ye, bhikkhave, virāge dhamme pasannā, agge te pasannā. Agge kho pana pasannānaṃ aggo vipāko hoti.
Those who have faith in the Dhamma of detachment have faith in the foremost, and for those with faith in the foremost the result will be foremost.

Return to “General Theravāda Meditation”