"white"-flash and "white"-strobbing

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
mlswe

"white"-flash and "white"-strobbing

Post by mlswe »

hello everyone, been meditating daily (increasing time from 20 min to about an hour now)and trying to keep the precepts for about 6 months (increasing success) almost exlusively observing breath-meditation. Today after a while when the attention had settled more on the breath i got this sudden white flash, earlier i have had some white strobbing experiences. One of those times preceeding a very relaxed joyful peacul meditation (my most memorable experience since starting this path). I got a bit shocked because it was so sudden and bright so got a bit off track. Anyone else have similar experiences and if so any tips on how not to get too excited and also not bring up too much "talking mind" to deal with the excitement?
Modus.Ponens

Re: "white"-flash and "white"-strobbing

Post by Modus.Ponens »

I had similar experiences.

One way to deal with the excitement is to, at the begining of the meditation session, to decide to abandon all unskilful desire for joyful experiences.

Another way is to keep practicing until these experiences become rotine and there's no more interrupting excitement.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta