Mindful whilst busy?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

Mindful whilst busy?

Postby Future Bhikkhu » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:11 am

I am a student in year 11. I am required to spend a lot of my time stdying if I am to get A's. I want to practice constant awareness of my activities but they are just too complicated and quick for me to keep up with them. Could I get suggestions on how I could do well at school and still practice constant mindfulness of my activities?
The mind is everything; what you think you become.
-The Buddha
Future Bhikkhu

Re: Mindful whilst busy?

Postby Goofaholix » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:28 am

Future Bhikkhu wrote:I am a student in year 11. I am required to spend a lot of my time stdying if I am to get A's. I want to practice constant awareness of my activities but they are just too complicated and quick for me to keep up with them. Could I get suggestions on how I could do well at school and still practice constant mindfulness of my activities?

Just do it. At the beginning It's not so much important that you succeed being mindful every moment, noticing whenever you haven't been mindful is a sign of progress.
"Proper effort is not the effort to make something particular happen. It is the effort to be aware and awake each moment." - Ajahn Chah
"When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness. When we stop clinging, we can begin to be happy." - Ajahn Chah
"Know and watch your heart. It’s pure but emotions come to colour it." — Ajahn Chah
Goofaholix

Postby zavk » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:44 am

Hi Future Bhikkhu

Which part of Melbourne are you in? Have you considered attending public guided meditation sessions? The Buddhist Society of Victoria in Malvern East holds these two nights a week: http://www.bsv.net.au/

There are others as well if you look up Buddhanet. It might be helpful to attend them, even if only occasionally.
With metta,
zavk
zavk

Postby Phra Chuntawongso » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:25 am

Hi FB.
Mindfulness whilst busy is not so difficult.Sure you may not be able to note every individual movement etc,but what you can do is just be mindful of the task at hand.If you have to write an essay just be mindful of that task.Don't think about your next class,what you are going to do at lunch break or how well your footie team will do on the weekend.
As was suggested above,finding a local meditation group near you will be an advantage.
With metta,
Phra Greg.
And crawling on the planets face,some insects called the human race.
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
Phra Chuntawongso

Postby Ytrog » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:25 pm

Phra Chuntawongso wrote:Hi FB.
Mindfulness whilst busy is not so difficult.Sure you may not be able to note every individual movement etc,but what you can do is just be mindful of the task at hand.If you have to write an essay just be mindful of that task.Don't think about your next class,what you are going to do at lunch break or how well your footie team will do on the weekend.
As was suggested above,finding a local meditation group near you will be an advantage.
With metta,
Phra Greg.

I asked a similar question, but then for programming.
So, you say that just concentrating on your work is mindfulness too?
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.

mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments

If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
Ytrog

Postby Goofaholix » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:29 pm

Ytrog wrote:I asked a similar question, but then for programming.
So, you say that just concentrating on your work is mindfulness too?

Being aware that you are just concentrating on your work is mindfulness.

There is no need to note every little thing rather be aware of the quality of attention, when it is good, and when it has been bad but has just gotten good enough for you to notice.
"Proper effort is not the effort to make something particular happen. It is the effort to be aware and awake each moment." - Ajahn Chah
"When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness. When we stop clinging, we can begin to be happy." - Ajahn Chah
"Know and watch your heart. It’s pure but emotions come to colour it." — Ajahn Chah
Goofaholix

Postby Future Bhikkhu » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:04 pm

I guess that I find it especially difficult to note intention before I do the task. Is this absolutly necessary at the beggining?

With metta

:anjali:
The mind is everything; what you think you become.
-The Buddha
Future Bhikkhu

Postby IanAnd » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:13 am

Future Bhikkhu wrote:I guess that I find it especially difficult to note intention before I do the task. Is this absolutely necessary at the beginning?

Not necessarily. If you are practicing "noting," though, it may be part of the instruction to do so in that case. "Noting" is a method of practice that is often discussed in the Mahasi Sayadaw method of teaching. It is meant to develop both mindfulness and clear comprehension. It can be a very useful practice for a beginner.

In general, though, just do the best you can with where you are currently at in your practice. Mastery will come in increments. Just be patient and diligent in your practice, and these details will work themselves out naturally.
"The gift of truth exceeds all other gifts" — Dhammapada, v. 354 Craving XXIV
IanAnd

Return to Theravada Meditation