Effective contemplation tips for removing attachments?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

Effective contemplation tips for removing attachments?

Postby starter » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:50 pm

Hello Teachers/Friends,

I'm trying to apply the insight of anicca/dukkha/anatta to the actual removal of attachments in my daily life, as described in my previous post "End suffering by disjoining mind and sense objects at the sense doors". Any tips for right contemplation (yoniso manasikara, one of the most effective tools for enlightenment taught by the Buddha) which can effectively cut through attachments would be very much appreciated. I don't remember seeing such a discussion here and thought it'd be helpful to exchange our experience on this important practice.

Metta,

Starter
starter

Re: Effective contemplation tips for removing attachments?

Postby Goofaholix » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:31 pm

starter wrote:I'm trying to apply the insight of anicca/dukkha/anatta to the actual removal of attachments in my daily life, as described in my previous post "End suffering by disjoining mind and sense objects at the sense doors". Any tips for right contemplation (yoniso manasikara, one of the most effective tools for enlightenment taught by the Buddha) which can effectively cut through attachments would be very much appreciated. I don't remember seeing such a discussion here and thought it'd be helpful to exchange our experience on this important practice.

You need to know the affect attachment has on you before you realise the destructiveness of it and let go of it.

Much of insight meditation practice is just gathering data, once you've gathered a lot of data you start to see patterns in how attachment arises and how it affects you, you sfeel it in the body, you see the affect on the mind. Eventually you naturally see the pointlessness of it and just give it up, or at least do so in degrees.

Here's some info on yoniso manasikara http://www.accesstoinsight.org/index-su ... ollections I think usually this happens naturally as a result of insight practice.
"Proper effort is not the effort to make something particular happen. It is the effort to be aware and awake each moment." - Ajahn Chah
"When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness. When we stop clinging, we can begin to be happy." - Ajahn Chah
"Know and watch your heart. It’s pure but emotions come to colour it." — Ajahn Chah
Goofaholix

Postby Ben » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:38 am

Practice sila, samadhi (samatha meditation) and panna (vipassana meditation).

In the immortal words of Rachael Hunter:
It won't happen overnight, but it will happen!
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby ground » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:52 am

Monks, this is the direct path for the purification of beings, for the surmounting of sorrow and lamentation, for the disappearance of dukkha and discontent, for acquiring the true method. For the realization of Nibbana, the four satipatthanas.

Kind regards
ground

Postby Euclid » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:40 am

Great post, TMingyur! When in doubt, read the Mahasatipatthana Sutta
Euclid

Return to Theravada Meditation