POLL: The purpose or goal of meditation retreats is...

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

The primary purpose or goal of meditation retreats is...

Validation of Right View, transforming it to Right Knowledge or insights
14%
Mental purification through the weakening of unwholesome tendencies, asavas, cravings etc.
25%
To build momentum in mindfulness or concentration, to sustain a post-retreat meditation regime
14%
To learn, or build upon meditation technique in the presence of a qualified teacher providing feedback
31%
To relax, de-stress and unwind (it's cheaper than the Bahamas, yeah?)
8%
Something else (please explain)
8%

Total votes : 36

POLL: The purpose or goal of meditation retreats is...

Postby retrofuturist » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:53 am

Greetings,

I thought it might be worth exploring the different opinions on the role and benefit of meditation retreats in modern Dhamma practice.

There may of course be secondary benefits associated with meditation, but I'm looking to hone in on the specific "root issue" that meditation retreats are looking to improve or resolve.

Feel free to share your personal experiences, but avoid any criticism of others.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: POLL: The purpose or goal of meditation retreats is...

Postby alan » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:01 am

to quiet the mind.
alan

Postby retrofuturist » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:04 am

Greetings Alan,

alan wrote:to quiet the mind.

A noble pursuit in itself.

If you were to vote for the available options though (and yes, the limitations with any such set of options)... would that perspective be most aligned with #2, #3 or the "something else"?

Metta,
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby alan » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:23 am

Definitely number 2.
alan

Postby Goofaholix » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:55 am

"All of the above" I would have said.

Though depending on ones circumstances and where you are at with practise some purposes outweigh others in priority.

For example there was a time when I was motovated by high ideal;istic goals, but now with family and work conspiring to keep me from retreat practise when I do go it's enough to have the chance to relax and unwind.
"Whenever we feel that we are definitely right, so much so that we refuse to open up to anything or anybody else, right there we are wrong. It becomes wrong view. When suffering arises, where does it arise from? The cause is wrong view, the fruit of that being suffering. If it was right view it wouldn't cause suffering." - Ajahn Chah
"Remember you dont meditate to get anything, but to get rid of things. We do it, not with desire, but with letting go. If you want anything, you wont find it." - Ajahn Chah
Goofaholix

Postby retrofuturist » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:35 am

Greetings Alan,

alan wrote:Definitely number 2.

Be sure to pick it then (I'm really keen to get an aggregated view on how "Dhamma Wheelers" approach retreats).

Thanks. :)

Metta,

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:01 am

The purpose and goal of meditation retreats is to get the Divine Ear and Divine Eye. (just kidding!)

Some people really do it for that.

I chose mental purifications to choose one, but like all of the above poll choices.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby tiltbillings » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:02 am

You may select 1 option
That's a problem.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.
"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby Ben » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:11 am

tiltbillings wrote:
You may select 1 option
That's a problem.

Yes, I think that there are more than one purpose and at different times in one's practice, the purposes/reasons one goes/benefits of a retreat - they are going to change.
In which case 'all of the above and others' is appropriate.
kind regards,

Ben
"Only those who take to meditation with good intentions can be assured of success. With the development of the purity and the power of the mind backed by the insight into the ultimate truth of nature, one might be able to do a lot of things in the right direction for the benefit of mankind."

Sayagyi U Ba Khin

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global Relief
UNHCR Syria Emergency Relief AppealTyphoon Haiyan Relief AppealKiva: (person to person micro-finance)

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby mikenz66 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:57 am

All of the above, but if pushed to cut it down I'd say 3 and 4 are the practical reasons for going on retreats. I picked 4 because noone else had picked it when I voted...
And, come to think of it, number 5 is actually a very useful side-effect, the helpfulness of which should not be underestimated.

1 and 2 are underlying reasons for any type of practice, so I'm not sure why they are there...

:anjali:
Mike
mikenz66

Postby retrofuturist » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:08 am

Greetings Tilt,

tiltbillings wrote:
You may select 1 option
That's a problem.

An intentional problem, otherwise I imagined most the options would be ticked.

As tough as it might be, I wanted to get down to people's single most important factor.

Metta,

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby James the Giant » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:25 am

Presently the purpose of my retreats is observing impermanence at the level of sensations. A fine sift of vibrations and particles seem to make up my perception of the world these days.
Also straying into awareness of no-self.
I think that's option 1.

And I have to admit also for the pleasure of abiding in bliss, with a calm and quiet mind.
There has been a lot of bliss these past 3 months!
Trying not to crave it and cling to it, but gosh, you know, it's rather blissful.

Next retreat starts Monday.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
James the Giant

Postby Dan74 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:59 am

I didn't vote because you are probably after Theravada views, but for what it's worth I would've answered 1,2,3,4,5,6. The 6 being shedding a bit more delusion and building up bodhicitta (motivation to practice and fulfil the Vows).

The last few retreats I did were both very difficult and illuminating. Things came up, the extent of the delusion became clearer and sitting with it all was even more painful than the very first time. Seeing my teacher is action reminded me of just how little I have accomplished on this journey and encouraged me to pursue it with renewed vigour.
_/|\_
Dan74

Postby retrofuturist » Wed May 15, 2013 11:04 pm

* bump *

8-)

Metta,

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby tiltbillings » Wed May 15, 2013 11:15 pm

One option only is still a problem.
SN I, 38.

tiltbillings

Postby felipe » Wed May 15, 2013 11:32 pm

I also think that they all apply, but my biggest reason to attend (still looking for one actually) a retreat would be number 4 :)
“Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”
― Mahatma Gandhi
felipe

Postby daverupa » Thu May 16, 2013 12:17 am

Something Else

Explanation: "The purpose or goal of meditation retreats is... set by a given individual, who can frame any number of relevant sankhara."

;)
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Postby marc108 » Thu May 16, 2013 12:23 am

what a loaded question lol :jumping:

i think this question depends on where the person is in their practice and what the goals of their practice are. given the option i would have chosen most if not all of the above.
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
marc108

Postby reflection » Thu May 16, 2013 3:15 am

Other: Just to be there and follow the schedule. Whatever comes out of it, is just that. I treat it just like I threat a single meditation session at home.
reflection

Postby tiltbillings » Thu May 16, 2013 3:40 am

"The primary purpose or goal of meditation retreats" can change by the moment, if one thinks in the terms of a goal.
SN I, 38.

tiltbillings

Next

Return to Theravada Meditation