New Book: "Wisdom Wide and Deep"

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Jhana4
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

New Book: "Wisdom Wide and Deep"

Postby Jhana4 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:29 pm

Shalia Catherine is publishing a new book in 2011 Nov, it looks like a follow up to her excellent book explaining the jhanas ( "Focused and Fearless"):

Wisdom Wide and Deep: A Practical Handbook for Mastering Jhana and Vipassana
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.

bodom

Re: New Book: "Wisdom Wide and Deep"

Postby bodom » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:45 pm

I enjoyed her first book. Definitely looking forward to this one. Thanks for posting.

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah

jackson
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Postby jackson » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:24 am

Thanks for the heads-up Jhana4! I also really enjoyed her first book and am interested to see what she will get into regarding Vipassana, should be interesting...
With metta, :smile:
Jackson
"The heart of the path is quite easy. There’s no need to explain anything at length. Let go of love and hate and let things be. That’s all that I do in my own practice." - Ajahn Chah

bodom

Postby bodom » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:13 am

I started reading this book today and have to say I am extremely impressed at the depth and clarity with which Shaila Catherine writes. This book should be in everyones library.

http://imsb.org/books/wwd.php

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah

Goofaholix
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Postby Goofaholix » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:40 am

bodom wrote:I started reading this book today and have to say I am extremely impressed at the depth and clarity with which Shaila Catherine writes. This book should be in everyones library.

http://imsb.org/books/wwd.php

I found it far too indepth, I really enjoyed her first book but this is more a very detailed step by step manual or commentary based on the Pa Auk method.

Invaluable if you committed to practising this method on an ongoing basis but not for the casual reader.

Maybe one day I will.
"Proper effort is not the effort to make something particular happen. It is the effort to be aware and awake each moment." - Ajahn Chah
"When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness. When we stop clinging, we can begin to be happy." - Ajahn Chah
"Know and watch your heart. It’s pure but emotions come to colour it." — Ajahn Chah

dhamma_newb

Postby dhamma_newb » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:01 am

I am waiting for my copy in the mail. Has anyone read Practicing the Jhanas: Traditional Concentration Meditation as Presented by the Venerable Pa Auk Sayadaw by Tina Rasmussen and Stephen Snyder?
The watched mind brings happiness.
Dhp 36

I am larger and better than I thought. I did not know I held so much goodness.
Walt Whitman

Return to “Theravada Meditation”