Bhikkhu Bodhi Equivocating on Sīla?

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
mikenz66

Re: Bhikkhu Bodhi Equivocating on Sīla?

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Dan,

Actually I was imagining the arahant doing somewhat like this:

"These aren't the [whatever] you're looking for..."

But, more seriously, as I said above, when faced with a difficult situation, I think that one should apply the advice to Rahula about whether the action would lead to affliction of self or others:
http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 40#p176235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
not think of it as a legalistic bar exam.

:anjali:
Mike
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

mikenz66 wrote:Hi Dan,

Actually I was imagining the arahant doing somewhat like this:

"These aren't the [whatever] you're looking for..."
That's lying. Bad Obiwan! Well I guess it was a drop in the ocean of bad karma he already made with all that violence in Episodes 1-3, not to mention 2-d character development and second rate acting.
But, more seriously, as I said above, when faced with a difficult situation, I think that one should apply the advice to Rahula about whether the action would lead to affliction of self or others:
http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 40#p176235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
not think of it as a legalistic bar exam.

:anjali:
Mike
Funny that - a sensible advice from the Buddha. Who would've thought!
_/|\_
Vepacitta

Post by Vepacitta »

Personally, if a person has to really think and equivocate about what is right in terms of sila vis a vis the ever popular Nazi/Jewish scenario (I tried to introduce the Cheka/gulag scenario for a change of pace, but no one got it), then that person really has no moral centre.

I said this in Bhante Bodhi's class when someone started equivocating in this way - I let that person have it in no uncertain terms and and Bhante just smiled and nodded his head.

This stuff should be in-born, it's just so bleeding obvious ....

V.
I'm your friendly, neighbourhood Asura