should a practicing buddhist own a gun?

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
tiltbillings

Re: should a practicing buddhist own a gun?

Post by tiltbillings »

jason c wrote:
SDC wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:Other than going over the same ground repeatedly, do we have anything new to say here?
Practicing Buddhists shouldn't talk about guns. :D
very, wise my friend. :namaste:
(Whispering: He was being sarcastic)
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
rowboat

Post by rowboat »

Well, I would not assume that about me, but ten since I know what I do, I don't have to worry about it. It is not an issue.
I don't understand how one can be 100% certain they are not killing even insects once the bullet leaves the gun, if one is shooting outdoors. (Of course the same applies to archery and other forms of target shooting, by the way.)
Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5
rowboat

Post by rowboat »

Sure, and it is a way of keeping the population controlled.
It is a way of making a portion of the population dead.
Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

rowboat wrote:
Well, I would not assume that about me, but ten since I know what I do, I don't have to worry about it. It is not an issue.
I don't understand how one can be 100% certain they are not killing even insects once the bullet leaves the gun, if one is shooting outdoors. (Of course the same applies to archery and other forms of target shooting, by the way.)
It also includes walking on the grass, driving a car, riding in a bus, plane, train, subway. And then there is our food supply which is dependent up controlling insect "pests" and not to mention controlling weeds, which has an impact on insects and other animals.

But other than the unlikelihood of accidentally hitting bug in the air, I feel confident enough about what I do so as to not run afoul of your judgment-ism.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

rowboat wrote:
Sure, and it is a way of keeping the population controlled.
It is a way of making a portion of the population dead.
Can't get much more controlled than that.

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Mod note: Since this thread is going around in ever increasingly personal circles, grinding the dirt beneath our feet to dust, adding nothing new or of value, it is time to lock it. The rest of the management team can take a look, and if they feel there is any further value in pursuing this thread, they can re-open. Feel free to drop us a PM.