Alcohol

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
LonesomeYogurt

Alcohol

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

After recently having struggles with maintaining my precepts, a spiritual guide suggested I write out a declaration of why I am going to abstain completely from alcohol. I thought I would post what I wrote so that maybe it'll encourage others or help them articulate their feelings towards abstinence.

I do not drink alcohol because I do not want to have a part in an industry that propagates misery and dependence.

I do not drink alcohol because I do not want to encourage a culture rife with promiscuity, violence, recklessness, and exploitation.

I do not drink alcohol because I have compassion for my body and mind.

I do not drink alcohol because, when faced with frustration, anger, and sadness, I can accept and overcome my pain instead of hiding from it behind a wall of chemicals.

I do not drink alcohol because I am smart enough, funny enough, and kind enough to succeed in social situations without the need for any artificial support.

I do not drink alcohol because responsibility, self-control, and heedfulness are foundational aspects of my interaction with the world, not obstacles to be suppressed in the pursuit of pleasure.

I do not drink alcohol because clear comprehension and mindfulness are greater sources of joy than any chemical or any altered state.

I hope that maybe this manifesto or whatever helps other people who might be struggling to maintain their sobriety in an intoxication culture. Stay strong!
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
Annapurna

Re: Alcohol

Post by Annapurna »

I don't have problems with alc, but I think it's very good, Lonesome Yogurt! :twothumbsup:
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Its better to drink yoghurt and be lonesome than drink alcohol and be the life and soul of the party. :)
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Its better to drink yoghurt and be lonesome than drink alcohol and be the life and soul of the party. :)
:jumping:
Love it!
And very much like your post LY :anjali: :anjali: :anjali:

I have had issue with alcohol in the past and now can easily sit in a pub without the need to drink :)
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Alobha

Post by Alobha »

Abandoning heedless haze,
by abstaining from this maze,
of slavering intoxicants threefold
thus done, Mara takes of you no hold.

Sadhu LY!
Seeeker

Post by Seeeker »

Congratulations LY !

I drank alcohol almost daily for 21 years before quitting cold turkey in April 2010, after a meditation retreat. Not a drop since.

Realized I just didn't need it anymore.

I can relate to your struggle and admire your courage.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

I also stopped quite suddenly, a little while after reading the Dhammapada...
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

It makes me feel clouded now.
manas

Post by manas »

Hi LY,

it's not an easy undertaking, but will have many rewards. I wish you all the best with it. Make sure you get some local 'physical world' assistance if you need it.

I've never really liked alcohol, but my sweet poison of choice was weed, and it took a fair bit for me to finally give that up. In the end if was a few bad experiences that did it. I was lying in bed, unable to get to sleep because once again I felt like I was kind of floating out of my physical body in a very unpleasant way. It was sickening. Plus when I closed my eyes, I could perceive that my aura was sort of distorted and expanded, and temporarily out of my control. I made myself deeply and honestly witness all of these effects, asking myself if this was really worth it.

I don't advocate taking alcohol to the point of such sickening results, of course. But if you do experience any negative effects, do tune in to them with as much awareness as possible. It helps to be able to bring them to mind later on, when you might feel tempted to indulge. If I ever feel tempted to 'call an old acquaintance' and get a hold of some weed, I remind myself of those sickening experiences mentioned above right away, and the fleeting desire soon passes.

manas :anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
bella

Post by bella »

From STANZAS FOR A NOVICE MONK by Najarjuna with commentary by Lama Mipham

A Sober Mind

When one drinks alcohol
Mindfulness decreases
And the ascetic becomes uncontrolled
Uncontrolled, the discipline crumbles
Remember the advice of the Master
Intoxication increases negativity
So do not even drink that amount
Held on the tip of a blade of grass

There is an anecdote of a monk before whom was placed a keg of beer, a sheep and a woman. The monk was asked to take his choice between drinking the beer, killing the sheep, or raping the woman. Thinking that drinking was the least of the three evils,he drank the entire keg of beer. So, however he lost all awareness. He then killed the sheep and raped the woman as well.

It is because of incidents like this that the Buddha said:"A member of my monkhood should not drink or pour for another even the quantity of alcohol that can be held on the of a blade of grass. A monk that drinks is not fit to be a practiticioner of the Dharma and I would not be his teacher."

I enjoy this teaching as a warning against the danger of alcohol abuse!
Skeptic

Post by Skeptic »

I have tried to stop drinking alcohol many times, but was never successful completely. Many times I had periods of abstinence, but this was mostly when I was in the rural parts of country, away from my friends. Few months ago I was even able to spend my time with friends without alcohol when they were drinking. But again, not much later I started to drink some beer occasionally. Now I am going to try again not to drink, altough even now I'm not drinking much.
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

I don't drink alcohol because the fifth precepts says not to.
I don't have any other reason than that.
I used to like a nice cold beer after work, and I home-brewed for fun, to save money, and share with friends. For me, alcohol has been a good part of my upbringing, good times with friends, etc.
I guess I've been lucky, not really had any negative experiences with it.
But no longer. It's been a bit more than 2 years now teetotal.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
mynameisadahn

Post by mynameisadahn »

thanks lonesomeyogurt! the 5th precept has also been an issue for me, and it is good to declare/affirm one's intent.
JackV

Post by JackV »

LonesomeYogurt wrote:After recently having struggles with maintaining my precepts, a spiritual guide suggested I write out a declaration of why I am going to abstain completely from alcohol. I thought I would post what I wrote so that maybe it'll encourage others or help them articulate their feelings towards abstinence.

I do not drink alcohol because I do not want to have a part in an industry that propagates misery and dependence.

I do not drink alcohol because I do not want to encourage a culture rife with promiscuity, violence, recklessness, and exploitation.

I do not drink alcohol because I have compassion for my body and mind.

I do not drink alcohol because, when faced with frustration, anger, and sadness, I can accept and overcome my pain instead of hiding from it behind a wall of chemicals.

I do not drink alcohol because I am smart enough, funny enough, and kind enough to succeed in social situations without the need for any artificial support.

I do not drink alcohol because responsibility, self-control, and heedfulness are foundational aspects of my interaction with the world, not obstacles to be suppressed in the pursuit of pleasure.

I do not drink alcohol because clear comprehension and mindfulness are greater sources of joy than any chemical or any altered state.

I hope that maybe this manifesto or whatever helps other people who might be struggling to maintain their sobriety in an intoxication culture. Stay strong!
Do you know what I so wish that you had posted this last year when I was taking the step to cut out alcohol. I think an exercise such as this is incredibly useful. I found it quite difficult to seperate the act itself with the life and relationship/events that it takes part it. The two are really tightly connected and so by focusing on alcohol and why you are choosing not to drink it makes it much clearer for you when dealing with a situation.

Now I haven't touched alohol for some time it's easy to just say "dont do it" as some posters on here unhelpfully suggested to me, but this itself and the exercise of writing it out I hope will be very benificial to to other (I may even use this with a friend who, whilst not abstaining for 5th precept reasons, needs to cut alcohol out of their life)

Thanks (^_^)
Here where a thousand
captains swore grand conquest
Tall grasses their monument.
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

If you are having trouble controlling your drinking you should go to an AA meeting. Its just the easiest most straightforward solution. It works.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig