Alcohol

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Training of Sila, the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).

Re: Alcohol

Postby Hanzze » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:59 am

Some post below Digity:

*** There seem to be more excuses for breaking the fifth precept than for any other. One evening another student was conversing with Ajaan Fuang at the same time that a group of people were sitting around them in meditation. "I can't observe the fifth precept," he said, "because I'm under a lot of group pressure. When we have social occasions at work, and everyone else in the group is drinking, I have to drink along with them."

Ajaan Fuang pointed to the people sitting around them and asked, "This group isn't asking you to drink. Why don't you give in to their group pressure instead?"
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Hanzze

Postby mikenz66 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:27 am

Digity wrote:What do you guys do when friends invite you out for a beer? Do you justgo and order a club soda?

I don't like club soda. Juice or ginger beer is OK...

:anjali:
Mike
mikenz66

Postby Digity » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:53 am

Well, I went to a bar recently with friends and just drank coke. I think I'm giving up booze for good now, but we'll see.

When people ask you why you don't drink do you tell them about the precepts or just say you don't like it?
Digity

Postby mikenz66 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:14 am

Depends on the people. Usually I say I like to keep my head clear, which is basically accurate. And there are positives. Sometimes not drinking can make you somewhat popular as a designated driver...

:anjali:
Mike
mikenz66

Postby Digity » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:47 pm

I told a group of friends I stopped drinking and they acted kind of weird about it. I just said I didn't want to drink anymore. I know as other friends find out they'll try to pressure me to drink, but I don't see myself caving in. I think keeping he precepts is too important at this point. If they have an issue with me not drinking then it's their problem.
Digity

Previous

Return to Ethical Conduct