Bounty-hunters-wrong livelihood? Or a good job?

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
pererin

Re: Bounty-hunters-wrong livelihood? Or a good job?

Post by pererin »

Put it this way, even if Epikeia were to be applied in certain circumstances, now as in Antiquity neither Judaism nor Christianity considers that lying is OK.

Where is this thread going, please?

Metta
Last edited by pererin on Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

jcsuperstar wrote:
Annabel wrote:I haven't seen him using lies, and he is a practising Christian.

You should not lie is a commandment.

Also, the Dalai Lama said that a white lie is allowed, if greater harm is being prevented this way-

Makes sense to me.
the dalai lama has nothing to do with theravada buddhism...

but i have seen him lie the one time i watched the show.
Ooops. Well, we can still assume also Tibetan Buddhism is based on the dhamma and that the Dalai Lama is perhaps the most profound dhamma expert we have as a contemporary. If you question that , want to challenge that, I have to bow out, as I'm not in the position to know, are you guys....

Schools may differ in details, but they are all based on one source, the Buddha.

So,...back to the bounty hunter.....? :guns:
stuka

Post by stuka »

Annabel wrote:
jcsuperstar wrote:

Also, the Dalai Lama said that a white lie is allowed, if greater harm is being prevented this way-

Makes sense to me.

Ooops. Well, we can still assume also Tibetan Buddhism is based on the dhamma and that the Dalai Lama is perhaps the most profound dhamma expert we have as a contemporary.
Not necessarily. The Dalai Lama may be an expert in the Gelug tradition of the tibetan religions, however, these religions bear only superficial resemblance to Buddhism and the Buddhadhamma, and have nothing to do with Theravada Buddhism.
If you question that , want to challenge that, I have to bow out, as I'm not in the position to know, are you guys....

Schools may differ in details, but they are all based on one source, the Buddha.
The tibetan religions are based upon, and rely heavily upon, other sources: tantra, superstitions, oracles, je Tsonghapa, reincarnation of the same person over and over, etc. I have seen one christian source (who was actually quite impressed with the Buddha's teachings) describe the tibetan religions as "the Anti-Buddhism".

:zzz:
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

Annabel wrote:
jcsuperstar wrote:

Makes sense to me.

Ooops. Well, we can still assume also Tibetan Buddhism is based on the dhamma and that the Dalai Lama is perhaps the most profound dhamma expert we have as a contemporary. If you question that , want to challenge that, I have to bow out, as I'm not in the position to know, are you guys....

well his form of buddhism finds it okay to break vows if youre doing it "for a good reason"

i like the guy, he says some things at times that make me cringe (the anti homosexuality stuff) but for the most part seems a nice guy. but hes got nothing to do with my form of buddhism

now :focus:
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
bodom

Post by bodom »

stuka wrote: I am reminded of that "Crocodile Hunter" idiot, throwing himself on a stingray's barb.

One day, that poor attention-seeking moron will attempt to strut and showboat his way through some desperate soul's front door just long enough for them to place both barrels of a 12-gauge right on his lips and splatter his brains all over the following cameras and your television screen.

The price of ego-clinging is indeed high.
Thats harsh man. Really uncalled for.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

This thread received it's last reply before your's more than over 1 1/2 years ago. :zzz:

It's is unclear to me what you are referring to by " for sure not".

In any case, meanwhile, to me bounty hunting is just another facet of "police" life, in the largest possible meaning of the word "police".

Criminals are on the run, -some folks catch em for money, -either police, or bounty hunters.

The criminals are not sold as cheeseburgers at MacDuffys.

End of story.
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Hanzze wrote:
Annapurna wrote:This thread received it's last reply before your's more than over 1 1/2 years ago. :zzz:

It's is unclear to me what you are referring to by " for sure not".

In any case, meanwhile, to me bounty hunting is just another facet of "police" life, in the largest possible meaning of the word "police".

Criminals are on the run, -some folks catch em for money, -either police, or bounty hunters.

The criminals are not sold as cheeseburgers at MacDuffys.

End of story.
no end of story from a buddhist view :-)
but Sorry :-) "for sure not" - surely not... a good livelihood
No police - police don't catch for money. There task is catching but there is no danger of doing wrong because of the money.
Oh yes they are sold, watch out the news business the live show and the TV show where you got your thought from.
So you got directly involved in human trade :-)

Keep the precepts! Its your protection :-) No shows haha
Sure! You watch out for yours and I will for mine. :smile:
Oh yes they are sold, watch out the news business the live show and the TV show where you got your thought from.
Don't know where you are getting yours from, but I know several police people personally, male and female.
So you got directly involved in human trade
Who? Me? :smile:
There task is catching but there is no danger of doing wrong because of the money.
How so? Police and bountyhunters are both paid by the State (or whoever pays that)
If they do wrong, both police and bountyhunters go to court.

At least in lands with law and order. :reading:
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*

Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Alright Hanzze. no problem.

But it seems you think that bounty hunter captives arrive in custody injured?

What do you base your information on?

I had never heard of Bounty hunting before I watched "Dog" on TV.

He doesn't seem to injure people at all.

But I have seen violent American policemen on TV.
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

I've read that being a policeman isn't considered right livelihood as well as it might include having to use violence and hurt people. If this is the case (that is is wrong livelihood) then being a bounty hunter would be even worse.
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

_/\_
Just that! *smile*

Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

_/\_
Just that! *smile*

Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Yes, Hanzze. I can.

But I hardly ever catch or discipline with the body.

;)