YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

A clear mind more important than listening to music - Page 3 - Dhamma Wheel

A clear mind more important than listening to music

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
tiltbillings

Re: A clear mind more important than listening to music

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:59 pm

convivium

Postby convivium » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:09 pm

Just keep breathing in and out like this. Don't be interested in anything else. It doesn't matter even if someone is standing on their head with their ass in the air. Don't pay it any attention. Just stay with the in-breath and the out-breath. Concentrate your awareness on the breath. Just keep doing it. http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php

convivium

Postby convivium » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:11 pm

Just keep breathing in and out like this. Don't be interested in anything else. It doesn't matter even if someone is standing on their head with their ass in the air. Don't pay it any attention. Just stay with the in-breath and the out-breath. Concentrate your awareness on the breath. Just keep doing it. http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php

manas

Postby manas » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:38 pm

Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:45 pm

manas

Postby manas » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:20 pm

I should also have mentioned, that although my years as a young man and adult were often filled with the study of music, and learning and honing skill on the piano in particular, that a gradual process of letting go of the admittedly great and often sublime Western Classical Music tradition, has been going on since my early twenties. I am now 44. I still play the piano sometimes, but it has got to the stage where it is either for work purposes (teaching) or as a gift (if I'm asked to play somewhere). Music can give joy to people, and I do still enjoy sharing the skills I learned years ago. But something has happened. It did not happen all of a sudden, but I find at the age of 44 the piano sits there unplayed, except maybe once a month. I have not been forbidding myself from practicing, quite the opposite. Sometimes I ask myself "why don't you finally do a full length recital?" Because I know I could, and yes it would be interesting. But I just don't have the spark of interest and enthusiasm anymore for music as I once did. I can't fake it or bring it back. It's just sort of faded away gradually.

So no, it's no huge sacrifice for me to stop listening to music. It is a little bit challenging, but really, if I'm honest, I was turning on the radio to distract myself, from having to face unpleasant tasks (by 'face the task' I mean 'do it mindfully, and not with the mind half here, half somewhere else') such as washing dishes for example, or mundane tasks such as driving the car, etc etc. I was more using music to distract myself from having to really be present with the mundane things of life, that nevertheless need to get done, and what's more, the Buddha advises us to do with awareness. And I can't imbue my activites with sati-sampajanna if I'm distracted by the catchy beat of music on the radio. I've got to train myself to be present at all times, not just when engaging in 'the good stuff', but also when just hanging out the washing. That way, it can all be Dhamma, from the sublime to the mundane.

Hope that clarifies things a bit more.

:anjali:
Last edited by manas on Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

convivium

Postby convivium » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:20 pm

binocular

Postby binocular » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:59 pm

binocular

Postby binocular » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:06 pm

Sadge

Postby Sadge » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:20 pm

Accept the music in your head and turn your mind towards finding metta for it?

Aloka

Postby Aloka » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:22 pm

I used to be married to a musician and music had always played a big part in my life. However I found that when I was no longer so influenced by others and continued practising, music ceased to have any importance to me and my desire to listen to it just disappeared naturally. I prefer silence (or natural sounds) now.

I do listen to it very occasionally out of curiosity - for example if someone has said "Have you heard....?" but there's not the need to keep repeating the experience.

So I would say relax - and just keep practising. If you don't make it an issue maybe it will go automatically.

Samma

Postby Samma » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:22 pm

Kamran

Postby Kamran » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:14 pm

I think the problem is that a clear mind is not realistic, or achievable for lay people that have to work, deal with unpleasant people or stressful situations. Maybe if you are on retreat, but for normal life you need many tools.

I think music can be a useful method for breaking the chain of some persistent unskillful thoughts.

If somebody at work is trying to push your buttons, humming a cheerful tune may be a helpful way of avoiding anger.

Another option is to listen to audio recordings of the suttas, like from the http://www.auditp.org. After awhile, useful phrases from Suttas will come to you when defilements arise.
"Silence gives answers"

Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Rumi

manas

Postby manas » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:35 pm

binocular

Postby binocular » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:41 am

manas

Postby manas » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:28 pm

reflection

Postby reflection » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:23 pm

I haven't read all replies, but awesome topic.

On a long retreat I really noticed the value of sense restraint and promised to keep it up in lay life. But it's hard, with music just at the press of a button. And while my love for music came and went over the years, overall I've been a pretty big music fan, so that makes it extra hard. Good to see somebody else trying it, it makes me want to give it another serious shot as well. Although I now usually get quite restless after listening to music for more than, say, 10 or 15 minutes, I want to lessen it more. The peace of sense restraint is just too nice to ignore.

With love, :buddha2:
Reflection

binocular

Postby binocular » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:07 am

manas

Postby manas » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:30 am

alan

Postby alan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:30 pm

Musicians will always have music in their heads. Can't be helped. Artists will see beauty, or light, or compositions all day long. Can't be helped. And why should it?

There is music all around us. Waves on the beach are music to me. Birds in the morning or the sound of rain can be your music. Tuning in to these sublime sounds that can help you on your quest for a more concentrated mind.

Return to “Sīla”