A clear mind more important than listening to music

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
binocular

Re: A clear mind more important than listening to music

Post by binocular »

Just the other day, I finally got a set of tubular bells, like these.
They hang outside and are played by the wind.

It's really interesting to watch how my mind clings to the sounds, trying to conjure up a melody, a continuity.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Dennenappelmoes

Post by Dennenappelmoes »

I do not believe you hearing music in your head has that much to do with you being a musician. If your senses "go solo" (otherwise known as hallucination) or, less extreme, if you are thinking about music or imagery, it is, as far as I know, your brain/sensory system telling you it is bored. It is understimulated, and that is where it starts to invent its own stimuli or cling to its own imagined objects. Music is just a thing that can be focussed on, maybe even meditated on, but apparently in your daily activity your mind likes to keep several dishes in the air otherwise it becomes bored, demonstrating this to you with these earworms. If the mind is more skilfull in accepting lack of stimulation, that is to say, if you have managed to overcome the first hindrance, which is desire for sensual stimulation, I would expect the music will stop and the lights will go on in your mental pub.

So, I do not think it is very relevant to figure out the role of music in itself (music is just a stimulus, for better or for worse) or your previous activity as a mucisian, the way I see it, the issue is mental boredom.

I'm not a teacher so no solutions, this train of thought has reached its final destination. Maybe it does help a bit :anjali:
binocular

Post by binocular »

Dennenappelmoes wrote:I do not believe you hearing music in your head has that much to do with you being a musician. If your senses "go solo" (otherwise known as hallucination) or, less extreme, if you are thinking about music or imagery, it is, as far as I know, your brain/sensory system telling you it is bored. It is understimulated, and that is where it starts to invent its own stimuli or cling to its own imagined objects. Music is just a thing that can be focussed on, maybe even meditated on, but apparently in your daily activity your mind likes to keep several dishes in the air otherwise it becomes bored, demonstrating this to you with these earworms. If the mind is more skilfull in accepting lack of stimulation, that is to say, if you have managed to overcome the first hindrance, which is desire for sensual stimulation, I would expect the music will stop and the lights will go on in your mental pub.

So, I do not think it is very relevant to figure out the role of music in itself (music is just a stimulus, for better or for worse) or your previous activity as a mucisian, the way I see it, the issue is mental boredom.
:goodpost:

Like they say - An idle mind is the devil's workshop.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
suriyopama

Post by suriyopama »

Beware of renunciation!! More than one year ago I did stop playing guitar because I considered it to be a hindrance. I sold a lot of gear (luckily not all the guitars), and during some months I thought that I never need it anymore.

Today, the urge to play has come back with the augmented effect of a boomerang. I am not only playing guitar again, but I have also spent many $$$ buying new gear to fulfill my needs!!

This is a current picture of my desk. Few months ago it only contained some small Buddha images:

:shrug:

I feel the stress that playing guitar is causing to all my muscles, bones, brain, tissues, and peace of mind (perhaps because I have earned a little bit of "sati" after all that practice). but yet, there I go! Kilesas won again :tantrum: