Exception to the first precept...

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Training of Sila, the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).

Exception to the first precept...

Postby ihrjordan » Sun May 25, 2014 4:26 am

This question is mainly to entertain the thought that this might actually be allowable...really more a philosophical question than anything so don't take it to seriously. But ok, If a being were born in the plane of existence out of the 31 planes known as paranimmita-vasavatti deva with mara in there sights would it then be allowable to actually murder mara (sounds like a band name) and all beings craving once for all? :toast:
"Ko imaṃ pathaviṃ vicessati, yamalokañca imaṃ sadevakaṃ.
ko dhammapadaṃ sudesitaṃ, kusalo pupphamiva pacessati"
ihrjordan

Re: Exception to the first precept...

Postby santa100 » Sun May 25, 2014 5:38 am

Interestingly, the moment the thought of murdering someone arises in one's head, one immediately becomes mara's dearest friend and so, paradoxically one will never be able to murder him that way. The only way to "murder" mara is the cultivation of virtues, meditation, and wisdom which culminates in complete and final liberation.
santa100

Postby Mkoll » Sun May 25, 2014 5:38 am

santa100 wrote:Interestingly, the moment the thought of murdering someone arises in one's head, one immediately becomes mara's dearest friend and so, paradoxically one will never be able to murder him that way. The only way to "murder" mara is the cultivation of virtues, meditation, and wisdom which culminates in complete and final liberation.

:goodpost:
Peace,
James
Mkoll

Postby greenjuice » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:16 pm

I think I read somewhere that Mara isn't an individual being, but an "office" filled by a being (or beings, somewhere multiple Maras are mentioned). So even if you were to kill him, some other being of similar mental disposition would to take his role.
greenjuice

Postby randall » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:34 pm

greenjuice wrote:I think I read somewhere that Mara isn't an individual being, but an "office" filled by a being (or beings, somewhere multiple Maras are mentioned).

:spy: kinda reminds me of this:

http://www.dhammatalks.net/Articles/Pun ... m_Mara.pdf

"Bhikkhus, possessing five factors, speech is well spoken, not badly spoken; it is blameless and beyond reproach by the wise. What five? It is spoken at the proper time; what is said is true; it is spoken gently; what is said is beneficial; it is spoken with a mind of loving-kindness. Possessing these five factors, speech is well spoken, not badly spoken; it is blameless and beyond reproach by the wise."
AN 5 198
randall

Postby santa100 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:45 pm

greenjuice wrote:I think I read somewhere that Mara isn't an individual being, but an "office" filled by a being (or beings, somewhere multiple Maras are mentioned). So even if you were to kill him, some other being of similar mental disposition would to take his role.

Yes, the great Ven. MahaMoggallana used to take that office a long long time ago, when the current Mara was only his nephew! From MN 50:
It happened once, Evil One, that I was a Mara named Dusi, and I had a sister named Kali. You were her son, so you were my nephew.
santa100

Postby Kim OHara » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:26 pm

randall wrote:
greenjuice wrote:I think I read somewhere that Mara isn't an individual being, but an "office" filled by a being (or beings, somewhere multiple Maras are mentioned).

:spy: kinda reminds me of this:

http://www.dhammatalks.net/Articles/Pun ... m_Mara.pdf

The article is well done - thanks.
:thumbsup:

Kim
Kim OHara

Postby K.Dhamma » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:27 pm

santa100 wrote:Interestingly, the moment the thought of murdering someone arises in one's head, one immediately becomes mara's dearest friend and so, paradoxically one will never be able to murder him that way. The only way to "murder" mara is the cultivation of virtues, meditation, and wisdom which culminates in complete and final liberation.

Couldn't have said it any better myself! :goodpost:
"Remember you dont meditate to get anything, but to get rid of things. We do it, not with desire, but with letting go. If you want anything, you wont find it." - Ajahn Chah
K.Dhamma

Return to Ethical Conduct