dating a girl of 18 when i am 22

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Training of Sila, the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).

dating a girl of 18 when i am 22

Postby mario92 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:04 am

Hi have a question, i dont know if i should date a girl of 18, 4 years lesser than me, im 22, so is it a bad idea do take her to a movie or something like that? i say it because in one sutta the buddha explain that having a partner more young can be a cause of downfall because of jealousy. Can you explain me how and what cases are in this explanation?

thank you
;) Mario
mario92

Re: dating a girl of 18 when i am 22

Postby robertk » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:28 am

The Buddha explained a very old man takes a young woman (or women ) as consort/s but then worries that they might be ah, 'playing around' behind his back with younger cabelleros. The worry will cause him grief.

So the question is whether an ageing Romeo like you has the confidence to compete against the young studs..
robertk

Postby Reductor » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:15 am

You should never, ever date a woman who is more than a week younger than you are.

I'm joking. If the two of you appear equal or similar in age and beauty, there isn't much reason to worry (except for the usual romantic troubles of course).
Michael

The thoughts I've expressed in the above post are carefully considered and offered in good faith.

And friendliness towards the world is happiness for him who is forbearing with living beings. -- Ud. 2:1
To his own ruin the fool gains knowledge, for it cleaves his head and destroys his innate goodness. -- Dhp 72

Reductor

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:48 am

The Parabhava Sutta says:
20. A person past his youth takes as wife, a girl in her teens, and sleeps not being jealous of her — this is the cause of his downfall.

You are not past your youth — not by a long way. Perhaps if you were 30 the age difference might be too much.
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby mario92 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:30 pm

thank you bhikkhu pesala, thank you also reductor and robertk :) :tongue:
mario92

Return to Ethical Conduct