Right Speech on the forum

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Training of Sila, the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
LXNDR
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Right Speech on the forum

Postby LXNDR » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:40 am

let's start with the of Right Speech principles, namely refraining from abusive speech

Cunda Kammaraputta Sutta (AN 10.176) wrote:"And how is one made impure in four ways by verbal action? There is the case where a certain person engages... in abusive speech. He speaks words that are harsh, cutting, bitter to others, abusive of others, provoking anger and destroying concentration.

[...]

"And how is one made pure in four ways by verbal action? There is the case where a certain person... abandoning abusive speech, abstains from abusive speech. He speaks words that are soothing to the ear, that are affectionate, that go to the heart, that are polite, appealing & pleasing to people at large.

some members of this forum are quite consistently at odds with this principle and i feel it needs to be addressed in hope that it helps them to reconsider their patterns of communication, and addressed publicly for a greater educational effect similarly to confessions practiced in the Sangha

[Edited by moderator]
Last edited by LXNDR on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

tiltbillings

Re: Right Speech on the forum

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:44 am

If you are having difficulties with a fellow member, use the "report" button, and if that does not work, contact a member of the staff.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

dheamhan a fhios agam

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson

LXNDR

Postby LXNDR » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:53 am

i don't have a problem, i want to help his problem, unitedly

it will be a big loss if he remains unreformed
Last edited by LXNDR on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:54 am

LXNDR wrote:i don't have a problem, i want to help his problem, unitedly
Bring it up with the Administrators prvtly, then see where it goes from there.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

dheamhan a fhios agam

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson

SDC
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Postby SDC » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:19 pm

From the TOS: "Members are expected to self-moderate, being mindful of the adage that 'behavior breeds behavior'."

Either ignore them, report them, or politely hold them accountable for what you see. If you are more right than not, chances are they will get tired of looking ridiculous. However, if it is not them but you (meaning anyone not just you, LXNDR), you will get tired of looking ridiculous. Either way someone may learn something. This has been shown to be very affective, far more than sweeping right speech reform.

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:27 pm

SDC wrote:From the TOS: "Members are expected to self-moderate, being mindful of the adage that 'behavior breeds behavior'."

Either ignore them, report them, or politely hold them accountable for what you see. If you are more right than not, chances are they will get tired of looking ridiculous. However, if it is not them but you (meaning anyone not just you, LXNDR), you will get tired of looking ridiculous. Either way someone may learn something. This has been shown to be very affective, far more than sweeping right speech reform.

:goodpost:
The trouble with any public official action is that, once introduced, it has to be policed ... and then there is dissatisfaction and argument over the policing, and all that's happened is that more people have been dragged into negative speech and action.

:namaste:
Kim

SarathW
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

Postby SarathW » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:25 am

"Suppose that a man were to come along carrying a hoe & a basket, saying, 'I will make this great earth be without earth.' He would dig here & there, scatter soil here & there, spit here & there, urinate here & there, saying, 'Be without earth. Be without earth.' Now, what do you think — would he make this great earth be without earth?"

"No, lord. Why is that? Because this great earth is deep & enormous. It can't easily be made to be without earth. The man would reap only a share of weariness & disappointment."

"In the same way, monks, there are these five aspects of speech by which others may address you: timely or untimely, true or false, affectionate or harsh, beneficial or unbeneficial, with a mind of good-will or with inner hate. Others may address you in a timely way or an untimely way. They may address you with what is true or what is false. They may address you in an affectionate way or a harsh way. They may address you in a beneficial way or an unbeneficial way. They may address you with a mind of good-will or with inner hate. In any event, you should train yourselves: 'Our minds will be unaffected and we will say no evil words. We will remain sympathetic to that person's welfare, with a mind of good will, and with no inner hate. We will keep pervading him with an awareness imbued with good will and, beginning with him, we will keep pervading the all-encompassing world with an awareness imbued with good will equal to the great earth — abundant, expansive, immeasurable, free from hostility, free from ill will.' That's how you should train yourselves.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

Mkoll

Postby Mkoll » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:41 am

:goodpost: SarathW
Peace,
James

martinfrank

Postby martinfrank » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:22 pm

some members of this forum are quite consistently at odds with this principle and i feel it needs to be addressed in hope that it helps them to reconsider their patterns of communication, and addressed publicly for a greater educational effect similarly to confessions practiced in the Sangha

Profanities and rude speech are a problem at Dhammawheel which should be addressed by all administrators by deleting the posts. The same goes for profane usernames. The users should be told by the administrators to change their usernames immediately.

I consider Dhammawheel to be a forum for Buddhists from all over the world. In most parts of the world profanities and rude speech are considered impolite and shocking.
The Noble Eightfold Path: Proposed to all, imposed on none.

m0rl0ck

Postby m0rl0ck » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:28 pm

This is the most civil, moderate and well moderated internet discussion forum i personally have ever seen.
Compared to most of the rest of the internet, this place is high tea at buckingham palace, thank the mods :)
"When you meditate, don't send your mind outside. Don't fasten onto any knowledge at all. Whatever knowledge you've gained from books or teachers, don't bring it in to complicate things. Cut away all preoccupations, and then as you meditate let all your knowledge come from what's going on in the mind. When the mind is quiet, you'll know it for yourself. But you have to keep meditating a lot. When the time comes for things to develop, they'll develop on their own. Whatever you know, have it come from your own mind.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai ... eleft.html

Mkoll

Postby Mkoll » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:52 am

martinfrank wrote:Profanities and rude speech are a problem at Dhammawheel which should be addressed by all administrators by deleting the posts. The same goes for profane usernames. The users should be told by the administrators to change their usernames immediately.

I consider Dhammawheel to be a forum for Buddhists from all over the world. In most parts of the world profanities and rude speech are considered impolite and shocking.

I honestly thought you were speaking in jest until I realized you were actually serious. :shrug:

Maybe we should hire the MPAA and ESRB to give threads ratings like they do for movies and video games. :jumping:
Peace,
James

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:31 am

Mkoll wrote:
martinfrank wrote:I consider Dhammawheel to be a forum for Buddhists from all over the world. In most parts of the world profanities and rude speech are considered impolite and shocking.

I honestly thought you were speaking in jest until I realized you were actually serious. :shrug:

Standards in this do vary from country to country, even in the West. A guy in his late twenties finished university here in Australia, and went to Germany for three years at a university there, and was surprised to find that his new colleagues and friends used far less bad language than his old ones. The same applied, at a different level, to language he heard in the street and shopping centres.
My impression is that coarse language is more common in the US than in Australia, and that it is far less common in Japan (and Asia generally), but I don't know from first-hand experience. Perhaps others can comment on that?
I wouldn't go as far as endorsing Martinfrank's suggestions of deleting and banning, but perhaps a reminder of these varying standards could be added to the TOS?

:namaste:
Kim

LXNDR

Postby LXNDR » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:34 am

Kim OHara wrote:I wouldn't go as far as endorsing Martinfrank's suggestions of deleting and banning

right, i think a cyber bootcamp or a pillory is a better idea

Ben
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:12 am

martinfrank wrote:

Profanities and rude speech are a problem at Dhammawheel which should be addressed by all administrators by deleting the posts. The same goes for profane usernames. The users should be told by the administrators to change their usernames immediately.

We apply the TOS on a case by case basis when it comes to the use of profanity and anti-social forum behaviour. I would also like to second Morlock's observation that, generally, DW is relatively civil.
Kim's suggestion regarding making the clause the use of profanities and rude language clearer.
I hope to draft an addition to the TOS in the next 72 hours.
Kind regards,
Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia
e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com

Kamran

Postby Kamran » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:06 am

Right Speech, like all of the Buddha's teaching, is offered as a type of training, like jogging or lifting weights. Its there if you want to get yourself in shape, and If not, that's fine, too.
When this concentration is thus developed, thus well developed by you, then wherever you go, you will go in comfort. Wherever you stand, you will stand in comfort. Wherever you sit, you will sit in comfort. Wherever you lie down, you will lie down in comfort.

Alobha

Postby Alobha » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:16 pm

m0rl0ck wrote:This is the most civil, moderate and well moderated internet discussion forum i personally have ever seen.
Compared to most of the rest of the internet, this place is high tea at buckingham palace, thank the mods :)

I'm not a fan of public trials for any perceived misconduct. It's more useful to first report and let the staff adress the issue with the person in private. People are usually much more willing to cooperate when they are not on trial having to defend themselves but are given the chance to open up for personal change during private, informal conversations.

Return to “Ethical Conduct”