Advice needed.

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
K.Dhamma

Advice needed.

Post by K.Dhamma »

This question may belong in a different category. I'm not sure, but since it kind of revolves around making an ethical decision i'll put it here.

Ok, so I am going back to college. This means mountains of paperwork and late nights studying and reading.

In my background I was diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder when I was a child. I have been into my Buddhist and meditation practice for about 3 years strong now.

I do not currently take any medication for my ADD, but i'm debating taking it for school because it does help me a lot.

Here is the ethical conundrum though.

I have gotten to a point in my practice where I can get into some pretty intense concentration. It's 10x better than when I even take medication and it even seems to last as long. This is great for me, and I really love that I don't need the medication. I can do it any given day but it takes a solid days practice of 3+ hours of meditation and quietness to achieve such concentration.

When I start college again, I simply won't have the opportunity to meditate like this.
On the other side of the coin is the medication. Anyone who has dealt with ADHD understands that these medications are amphetamine based or similar and have their drawbacks.

I'm just looking for some advice or thoughts, or even opinions on the subject because I am working really hard to keep my practice on my precepts.
"Remember you dont meditate to get anything, but to get rid of things. We do it, not with desire, but with letting go. If you want anything, you wont find it." - Ajahn Chah
Mkoll

Re: Advice needed.

Post by Mkoll »

Perhaps you don't need the medication anymore for school? It sounds like it has been some time since you last were at school. I say give it a try without medication and see how you do.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
martinfrank

Post by martinfrank »

Are you talking about some form of Ritalin? Why don't you keep some 10mg pills with you when you go to school and as soon as you feel you need them, take them! They last about three hours and work almost immediately. If you manage without you'll be fine too. You don't need to decide this in principle and you shouldn't put pressure on yourself this way or that way, just relax and do what works best for you.
The Noble Eightfold Path: Proposed to all, imposed on none.
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

advices that might work :

dont have a personal computer(if you procrastinate with it- stuff like watching music videos ect) - study in the library and computer rooms - in my university the computer rooms were open 24/7 so if thats the case than try it

try study groups

i did something crazy - there was a class i didnt understand nothing in - and i went to classes of someone who solves problems- and i just sat there and went 3 times in one day (2 hours each time ) second time still didnt understand nothing - 3 time i understood everything perfect - worth trying this method - only tried it once though - so just giving an idea - this is very interesting worth checking it out .......... this can be expanded to all study techniques : if you read part of a study book a few times you might understand it without "trying" - go to all lectures even if you dont seem to understand what they are saying - go throw solved exercises and try to figure them out ....

.... but most of all this way of study might give you this way of thinking : as long as you sit your body and make yourself work you will get results : if you force yourself not to sit at your apartment and go sit in the library - force yourself to go to study group even if you dont like study groups - force yourself to stay and study even at the start of the year - force yourself to read throw the book even if its boring and you dont think you understand nothing from it

do everything to study hard from the first day - and if you can maybe start before

you might still be able to meditate 5-15 minutes a day (dont forget walking mediation) - if you do vipasana also try to add as much mindfulness in daily life

I have concentration problem also - but i would warmly advice that if you can avoid using retalin and similar stuff .... avoid them - do everything you can to manage without it - if you see you really cant than i guess you can use it - but i would give a strong chance to all other options before

personally i wouldnt take it - but i might be wrong - so im not saying you shouldnt use but i am saying you should try not to