Practice Buddhism and listening metal and goth music

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Training of Sila, the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).

Re: Practice Buddhism and listening metal and goth music

Postby SDC » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:57 am

alan wrote:It's good to be a rebellious teen. When you get older, new ideas emerge.

I think 'rebellion' perfectly describes the path and I don't think there is anything wrong with allowing rebellious music, art and/or literature to serve as a reminder of what we see as generally dissatisfying about normal life. Of course the rebellion of the path is far more fundamental, but for me, music is a useful and entertaining 'worldly' reminder. Don't get me wrong, I have a good job, a mortgage and a nice family and I don't walk around in band t-shirts, yelling 'METAL!' in old people's faces (and I'm pretty sure I never did :thinking:), but I keep a small portion of that rebellious attitude which comes to frequent use in my practice. And I would never give that up.
Last edited by SDC on Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
SDC

Postby Mkoll » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:58 am

bodom wrote:A topic that's close to my heart :heart: My favorite music, and get this, I don't worship Satan or sacrifice children because of it! Gasp! Hard to believe I know! :tongue:

:anjali:

Now that you mention that, I've been wondering if your handle here has anything to do with the metal band Children of Bodom? I admit that's the first thing that came to mind when I first read your handle awhile back.
Peace,
James
Mkoll

Postby Kim OHara » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:02 am

alan wrote:It's good to be a rebellious teen. When you get older, new ideas emerge.

But it's also good to be a rebellious twentysomething, thirtysomething ... sixtysomething.
I'm with SDC on this.
Keep challenging the status quo because going along with it is going along with some pretty bad attitudes and actions. :jedi:
Also, it rots your brain. :toilet:

:namaste:
Kim
Kim OHara

Postby bodom » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:45 am

Mkoll wrote:
bodom wrote:A topic that's close to my heart :heart: My favorite music, and get this, I don't worship Satan or sacrifice children because of it! Gasp! Hard to believe I know! :tongue:

Now that you mention that, I've been wondering if your handle here has anything to do with the metal band Children of Bodom? I admit that's the first thing that came to mind when I first read your handle awhile back.

It is! I've seen them in concert many times and got to meet them in May before a show they played. It was awesome I got to meet my guitar hero Alexi Laiho.

The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby Mkoll » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:18 am

:thumbsup:
Peace,
James
Mkoll

Postby wolf1 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:34 am

FULL OF ANGER

ANGER

ANGER

ANGER

ANGER

ANGER
wolf1

Postby Aloka » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:45 am

Nice photos...the first one looks more like "high note" than anger, lol!

:zzz:

Aloka

Postby Mr Man » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:02 am

wolf1 wrote:FULL OF ANGER

ANGER

ANGER

ANGER

ANGER

ANGER

Do you think the pictured gentleman has more anger than Barry Manilow, for example, who often sung love songs?
Mr Man

Postby Mkoll » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:23 am

Lol wolf1. You don't give up easily. :tongue:
Peace,
James
Mkoll

Postby SDC » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:29 am

No offense, wolf1, but the only anger in this thread and in those photos is the anger that you are assuming and asserting as absolutely tied to these players and the music. While they may be projecting aggression and anger they are doing it as a performance which does not require that it be taken at face value. You can choose whether or not to engage with what is being projected. Like Aloka, I’ve known many musicians over the years that play this type of music and they are, for the most part, wonderful ordinary people. They are projecting an image for the theme of the performance and if you are unable to make that separation then I suggest you stop looking at these images and listening to the music.
SDC

Postby barcsimalsi » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:59 am

I don't care what you guys say, they still look cute to me.
barcsimalsi

Postby Aloka » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:49 pm

I don't care what you guys say, they still look cute to me.

Aaawwh, bless !
Aloka

Postby Mkoll » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:09 pm

alan wrote:Metal and Goth: Idiotic, crass and vulgar. Insultingly stupid in a pathetic way, and just plain low class.

Brainless entertainment for those lacking the capacity to appreciate sense impressions more subtle than a sledgehammer to the head.

Peace,
James
Mkoll

Postby wolf1 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:24 am

wolf1 wrote:i think THESE ARE ALL MUSIC OF ANGER! :buddha1:

ANGER ON THE FACES, ANGER ON THE LYRICS

ANGER IN THE SHOUTING SINGING

ANGER

ANGER

ANGER

ANGER

ANGER

ANGER

i think THESE ARE ALL MUSIC OF ANGER! :buddha1:

wolf1 wrote:FULL OF ANGER

ANGER

ANGER

ANGER

ANGER

ANGER

Mkoll wrote:Lol wolf1. You don't give up easily. :tongue:

SO TRUE MKOLL!
wolf1

Postby daverupa » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:49 am

And with that, we can all pause to reflect.

:meditate:

:heart:
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Previous

Return to Ethical Conduct