Wrong Livelihood?

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
lojong1

Re: Wrong Livelihood?

Post by lojong1 »

MJS wrote:At first i was nervous posting the above because of the many vehement supporters of Vegetarianism and Ahimsa to everything.
I don't buy meat, but if it makes your posting easier, I am a violent meat-eater.
JeffR

Post by JeffR »

There was a time I questioned my livelihood. I work in water treatment and kill bacteria.
Therein what are 'six (types of) disrespect'? One dwells without respect, without deference for the Teacher; one dwells without respect, without deference for the Teaching; one dwells without respect, without deference for the Order; one dwells without respect, without deference for the precepts; one dwells without respect, without deference for heedfulness; one dwells without respect, without deference for hospitality. These are six (types of) disrespect.
:Vibh 945
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

JeffR wrote:There was a time I questioned my livelihood. I work in water treatment and kill bacteria.
... and save humans from disease and death.
:thumbsup:
As I have said before, very little in this world is purely black or white, and aiming for the lightest shade of grey makes a lot of sense.
If there's a conflict between saving people and saving other animals, save the people.
If there's a choice between saving animals and saving plants, save the animals.
And so on.
Everyone can work it out for themselves and should accept responsibility for their own actions.
:meditate:
Kim