Sleeping on the floor (the ninth precept)

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Training of Sila, the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).

Re: Sleeping on the floor (the ninth precept)

Postby David N. Snyder » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:41 pm

Individual wrote:When it comes to back pain and joint paint, three main things are neglected:
1) The way you sleep... Sleeping on soft beds is bad.
2) Posture... Slouching is bad.
3) Diet... Obesity is very rough on the spine and the joints, such as the knees and ankles.

Probably right, but when you're 6'7" like Mawkish or my brother-in-law, there's not much you can do about those things.

Try finding a bed for someone over 6'4" it's almost impossible to find. Posture, similar problem and diet, well you need to eat a lot if you're that tall.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Mawkish1983 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:50 pm

TheDhamma wrote:... and diet, well you need to eat a lot if you're that tall.

Well, to be honest I'm classed as obese (just), but it's something I'm working on through mindfulness. I suppose back pain caused by being overweight is the vipaka for my unskillful eating habbits in the past.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, is anyone else here married and do you spend a night a week on the floor? How does you wife/husband react?
Mawkish1983

Sleeping on the floor (the ninth precept)

Postby GrahamR » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:22 am

Mawkish1983 wrote:Well, to be honest I'm classed as obese (just), but it's something I'm working on through mindfulness. I suppose back pain caused by being overweight is the vipaka for my unskillful eating habbits in the past.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, is anyone else here married and do you spend a night a week on the floor? How does you wife/husband react?

My wife works 3 nights a week so I sleep on the floor then. :smile: :zzz: You could both sleep on the floor.
If you are overweight, then consider not eating after noon as your next firm precept. I lost weight very easily. I had normal breakfast and lunch, then nothing after 12. Went down for 90kg to 80kg in about 6 weeks!
Good luck
With metta :bow:
Graham
GrahamR

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:03 am

Mawkish,

I'm married and live in a tiny apartment in NYC (well, I just moved into a bigger tiny apartment in NYC so there;s a bit more space). My wife doesn't always like it but she knows how important the practice is to me so on Uposatha days I either sleep on the floor next to the bed (when my 19 month-old isn't occupying that real estate on his toddler mattress) or I sleep in the living room or in his little room that has yet to be used for sleeping. I think more tahn anything she is annoyed that on Uposatha days we can't watch movies or TV shows together but it's only once a week so she deals with it. Anyway, I hope I answered your question. May you be well.

Metta,

Mike
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=148031379279&v=info
Kiva-Theravada Buddhists:http://www.kiva.org/team/theravada_buddhists
Dana on the Interwebs:
http://greatergood.com
http://freerice.com
Khalil Bodhi

Postby Mawkish1983 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:58 pm

Mawkish1983 wrote:I'll keep you posted and try again next week.

No noticeable back pain yet today.
Mawkish1983

Previous

Return to Ethical Conduct