How to make perception(saññā) ceases?

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
ignobleone

How to make perception(saññā) ceases?

Post by ignobleone »

I haven't found a clear answer to the question.
Anyone has any idea?

Thanks in advance.
kirk5a

Re: How to make perception(saññā) ceases?

Post by kirk5a »

This, Potthapada, is how there is the alert [5] step-by step attainment of the ultimate cessation of perception.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230
ignobleone

Post by ignobleone »

kirk5a wrote:
This, Potthapada, is how there is the alert [5] step-by step attainment of the ultimate cessation of perception.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sorry, I should have made the question more specific. What I mean is the perception of sensuality (the most common one in our life), not the ultimate cessation of perception (aka nibbana).
The sutta says: "His earlier perception of sensuality ceases, and on that occasion there is a perception of a refined truth of rapture & pleasure born of seclusion. On that occasion he is one who is percipient of a refined truth of rapture & pleasure born of seclusion. And thus it is that with training one perception arises and with training another perception ceases."
I still don't understand what the actual training is.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

To counter the perception to sensual pleasures (especially sexual one) which is very strong in all of us, the Buddha provided an effective antidote, which is the contemplation on the impurity of the body's 31 components mentioned in the Satipatthana Sutta: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kirk5a

Post by kirk5a »

ignobleone wrote:
kirk5a wrote:
Sorry, I should have made the question more specific. What I mean is the perception of sensuality (the most common one in our life), not the ultimate cessation of perception (aka nibbana).
The sutta says: "His earlier perception of sensuality ceases, and on that occasion there is a perception of a refined truth of rapture & pleasure born of seclusion. On that occasion he is one who is percipient of a refined truth of rapture & pleasure born of seclusion. And thus it is that with training one perception arises and with training another perception ceases."
I still don't understand what the actual training is.
Okay. In that quote the training is jhana meditation. And when that is done properly, as the quote says - "His earlier perception of sensuality ceases"

For the details of what the following amounts to in practice:
Quite withdrawn from sensual pleasures, withdrawn from unskillful mental qualities, the monk enters & remains in the first jhana: rapture & pleasure born from withdrawal, accompanied by directed thought & evaluation.
then we have to follow the instructions of someone who teaches how to give rise to this jhana. (There is not universal consensus on what this is even among teachers, however).
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230