Jhana Retreats In the US In 2013

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
Jhana4

Jhana Retreats In the US In 2013

Post by Jhana4 »

Hi all,

I waited too long to register for a Jhana retreat that I wanted to go to. All filled up.

Can anyone point me to other Jhana retreats happening in the U.S. this summer or fall?

Thanks either way
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
LonesomeYogurt

Re: Jhana Retreats In the US In 2013

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Wat Metta doesn't have any formal retreats but you can go on personal retreat there (whenever you want as long as you call ahead and make sure they have space for you at the time) and Ajahn Thanissaro really focuses on samadhi practice there, so he could be of help.

:anjali:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
marc108

Post by marc108 »

polarbuddha101 wrote:Wat Metta doesn't have any formal retreats but you can go on personal retreat there (whenever you want as long as you call ahead and make sure they have space for you at the time) and Ajahn Thanissaro really focuses on samadhi practice there, so he could be of help.

:anjali:
great post. Wat Metta is basically a year round Jhana retreat. Most retreats Richard Shankman or Shaila Catherine teach will be Jhana oriented. You can check check their respective websites

also:
http://www.spiritrock.org/page.aspx?pid=749&cseq=jhana
http://www.leighb.com/meditate.htm
http://www.bhavanasociety.org/schedule/
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."