Pressure in the heart

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
kiltro

Pressure in the heart

Post by kiltro »

Here I'm back again, it's been some time since my last post...
I'd like to ask for suggestions about my practice:
When practicing anapanasati, after some time, I start to experience what I describe like joyful feelings. These are physically manifested with pressure in the heart and something like waves with an upward motion..

Even though these are felt as feelings of delight after sometime I get not so comfortable, the feeling in the heart seems to shorten and speed up my breath, sometime is like inhale 100% - exhale 70%, and this prevent further relaxation.
Ajisai

Re: Pressure in the heart

Post by Ajisai »

I meditate since a short time, but I experienced a joyfull feeling once recently. It happened when I was able to kept completely concentrated on my breathing for a longer time than usual. For me, it was not the heart, but there was a kind of light and warm feeling in the front of my head - like if it was in my brain. It was a very nice sensation and it came with a feeling of joy. :smile:

I think I read somewhere that it is better not to cling to this feeling and that we will get used to it, then we will reach an other state. Can anyone confirm that?
kiltro

Post by kiltro »

Thank you for your reply! :anjali:
I think my experience is more like joy transforming into over excitement.
Though I'm confused about ignoring this and keep the attention on the breath (that in my case is became short..) or direct the attention on this sensation..
For exemple here:
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=18347
suggests when you get to access concentration you leave the breath as a meditation object for a pleasure sensation..
What I experience is a pleasure sensation but seems to bring me to discomfort
Ajisai

Post by Ajisai »

Thanks for the link. :anjali:
It seems that I was wrong then !

But I do not know how to help you with your excitation :console: