Basic instructions for entering first jana?

Discussion of Samatha bhavana and Jhana bhavana.

Re: Basic instructions for entering first jana?

Postby Spiny Norman » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:34 am

philosopher wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote: I think this can be usefully considered in relation to steps 5 and 6 of the 4 tetrads of Anapanasati.

I'm not familiar with this. Could you recommend an accessible introductory guide?

I'd recommend starting with the source text, the Anapanasati Sutta. There are quite a number of commentaries, but "Mindfulness with Breathing" by Buddhadasa Bikkhu is IMO one of the better ones.
"I ride tandem with the random, Things don't run the way I planned them, In the humdrum."
Peter Gabriel lyric
Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:36 am

It's probably also worth reading some sutta descriptions of the jhanas, eg here, about 2/3 down: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
"I ride tandem with the random, Things don't run the way I planned them, In the humdrum."
Peter Gabriel lyric
Spiny Norman

Postby ftw » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:24 pm

IanAnd wrote:The best advice I can give is to keep things simple and easily understandable/reachable. Don't complicate matters unnecessarily. Follow simple instruction. I have found that simple instruction can many times be the most difficult to follow simply because people do not always have the amount of control they assume they have over their minds. Work on strengthening your concentration by being able to enter samadhi at will. This will help you to keep the mind focused on a single object for observation (and later for insight practice). Once you are able to recognize your ability to access samadhi at will, that is when your practice should take off to the stratosphere! Assuming, of course, your successful ability to practice insight meditation.

Hello Ian,

when you say that one needs to learn to enter samadhi at will to which samadhi do you refer to?

regards,
ftw
ftw

Previous

Return to Samatha Meditation and Jhana