Right Concentration and Right Effort

Discussion of Samatha bhavana and Jhana bhavana.

Right Concentration and Right Effort

Postby J0rrit » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:57 pm

Hello,

I still have problems with finding the right effort and the right concentration, that is, finding the right amount of effort that is needed to grab the breath with my attention, not grabbing it too tightly, but also not grabbing it too loosely. Are there any suggestions? It's a big problem for me at the moment....

Thanks in advance,

Metta
J0rrit

Re: Right Concentration and Right Effort

Postby martinfrank » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:09 pm

Try to follow your breath so that you feel like it is going in a elongated circle and you follow it through the whole cycle without controlling. Like watching a toy railway going round. The breath should feel fine like slicing through butter.

Grabbing may be too much, it should be more like focusing on the breath. Does that help?

Maybe it will be easier if you count the first 100 breaths [in-out] 1-1 2-2 3-3 4-4 etc. Not breathing 100 times, only counting the breath.
The Noble Eightfold Path: Proposed to all, imposed on none.
martinfrank

Postby J0rrit » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:56 pm

I'm practicing Anapanasati from the method of Ajahn Brahm (this is not locating the breath at the nose or the abdomen, but focus on the experience of the breath). I've tried to change my attention, reading the piece about unfabricated awareness:

http://thehamiltonproject.blogspot.nl/2 ... -wave.html

I an now aware of the breath differently than before. Before I used to grab the breath with my attention, now I try to be aware without grabbing. Leading to watching the breath without reacting/interacting to/with it. I watch the breath without expectations, and before I grabbed the breath, so wanting something/clinging to the breath. I watch without attachment now. What happened is that I am now far more equanimous than before, but there is less joy now. I'm not grabbing the breath with my attention, but I'm watching the breath through letting go of more and more of everything else, making the breath more and more prominent.

Am I on the right track?
J0rrit

Postby daverupa » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:05 pm

Try bringing in the rest of your proprioceptive inputs together alongside the light holding of the breath you're able to do now (anapanasati step three). With this lump in-hand, you can start releasing the sankhara-grip on the whole pile.
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Postby J0rrit » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:52 pm

daverupa wrote:Try bringing in the rest of your proprioceptive inputs together alongside the light holding of the breath you're able to do now (anapanasati step three). With this lump in-hand, you can start releasing the sankhara-grip on the whole pile.

What do you mean with the last sentence ?
J0rrit

Postby daverupa » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:09 pm

With this lump (all percepts, breathing and the body in general, combined per step 3) in-hand (in awareness), you can start releasing the sankhara-grip on the whole pile (calming involvement with those sankhara, those momenta, per step 4).
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Return to Samatha Meditation and Jhana