question about attaining jhana

Discussion of Samatha bhavana and Jhana bhavana.
Cessation
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

question about attaining jhana

Postby Cessation » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:47 pm

Is it possible to attain jhana while meditating while living at home with family around? Because in the suttas it says you need to be secluded from sensual pleasures.
Say like I wanted to just go to work then come home and meditate and not use any entertainment.

tiltbillings
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Re: question about attaining jhana

Postby tiltbillings » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:50 pm

Cessation wrote:Is it possible to attain jhana while meditating while living at home with family around? Because in the suttas it says you need to be secluded from sensual pleasures.
Say like I wanted to just go to work then come home and meditate and not use any entertainment.
Sure; however, you illustrate one of the major problems with with this jhana focus.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

dheamhan a fhios agam

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson

bodom

Postby bodom » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:00 am

I highly recommend checking out Bhante Gunaratana's book Beyond Mindfulness in Plain English.

It can be read online in part here:
http://books.google.com/books?id=UGzTsK ... ks_s&cad=1

And purchased here:
http://www.wisdompubs.org/Pages/display ... n=&image=1

In this book Bhante G says that yes it is possible for meditators to reach jhana while living the household life provided certain conditions are met first; maintaining the precepts, practicing contentment, sense restraint and meditating AT LEAST two hours daily. Hope this helps get you started.

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah

Cessation

Postby Cessation » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:50 am

Thanks for the replies! That is very encouraging. Looks like I have a bit of prep-work to do but at least it's a start.
:anjali:

chownah
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Postby chownah » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:44 am

At one point in my life I became the caretaker of the community facility for a shared housing cooperative and when I moved in I started my daily meditation routine....Sat AM I started my meditation when the community kids filled the room next to mine and started watching saturday morning cartoons...loud volume of course....there were no other TV's in the community so this was their only place to watch. I persevered and after a few weeks I found that I could meditate even with the kids' activities.....but I was fairly experienced in meditation and don't know how a beginner would have faired.
chownah

daverupa
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Postby daverupa » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:13 am

A simple yet ardent anapanasati practice leads to jhana, and is a better thing to focus on.

:heart:
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]

Return to “Samatha Meditation and Jhana”