[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Dhamma Wheel • View topic - First Vipassana sitting

First Vipassana sitting

Discussion of Satipatthana bhavanā and Vipassana bhavana.

First Vipassana sitting

Postby greggorious » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:29 pm

A couple of weeks ago I went to an introductory workshop of Vipassana, have done it a bit on my own too, but today was my first proper sitting for over an hour. I felt constantly disturbed as people kept walking in and out, shuffling about, coughing etc. I used to practice Zen and they are really strict that you don't move unless it is absolutely necessary, it's perfectly quiet, but at the threveda Vihara centre I went to it wasn't what I expected. I thought people would be a little more strict with themselves and not move around so much. Maybe I'll get used to it.
"The original heart/mind shines like pure, clear water with the sweetest taste. But if the heart is pure, is our practice over? No, we must not cling even to this purity. We must go beyond all duality, all concepts, all bad, all good, all pure, all impure. We must go beyond self and nonself, beyond birth and death. When we see with the eye of wisdom, we know that the true Buddha is timeless, unborn, unrelated to any body, any history, any image. Buddha is the ground of all being, the realization of the truth of the unmoving mind.” Ajahn Chah
greggorious

Re: First Vipassana sitting

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:32 pm

Greetings Greg,

Did they give instruction on what to do when 'disturbed' by something?

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby greggorious » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:47 pm

No not really. I probably should have asked beforehand but I didn't realise. If I got too distracted I tried just counting my breath for a while.
"The original heart/mind shines like pure, clear water with the sweetest taste. But if the heart is pure, is our practice over? No, we must not cling even to this purity. We must go beyond all duality, all concepts, all bad, all good, all pure, all impure. We must go beyond self and nonself, beyond birth and death. When we see with the eye of wisdom, we know that the true Buddha is timeless, unborn, unrelated to any body, any history, any image. Buddha is the ground of all being, the realization of the truth of the unmoving mind.” Ajahn Chah
greggorious

Postby Ben » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:50 pm

Well done, Greg!
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia
e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Goofaholix » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:59 pm

greggorious wrote:A couple of weeks ago I went to an introductory workshop of Vipassana, have done it a bit on my own too, but today was my first proper sitting for over an hour. I felt constantly disturbed as people kept walking in and out, shuffling about, coughing etc. I used to practice Zen and they are really strict that you don't move unless it is absolutely necessary, it's perfectly quiet, but at the threveda Vihara centre I went to it wasn't what I expected. I thought people would be a little more strict with themselves and not move around so much. Maybe I'll get used to it.

This is a learning opportunity, notice the sense contact (hearing), notice the reaction (sensation in the body), notice the thoughts about why this shouldn't be happening (thinking) etc etc. Repeat and continue until the mind learns to be calm and not disturbed by internal and external sense contact, this is one of the main things vipassana is syupposed to help us learn.
"Proper effort is not the effort to make something particular happen. It is the effort to be aware and awake each moment." - Ajahn Chah
"When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness. When we stop clinging, we can begin to be happy." - Ajahn Chah
"Know and watch your heart. It’s pure but emotions come to colour it." — Ajahn Chah
Goofaholix

Return to Insight Meditation