The attainment of the fifth Jhàna breathing ceases.How?

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
SarathW

The attainment of the fifth Jhàna breathing ceases.How?

Post by SarathW »

Page 72 of attached says:

http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/abhidhamma.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Onthe attainment of the fifth Jhàna breathing ceases.

Question: If breathing ceases, the person will not have oxygen. How does a person live without oxygen?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
santa100

Re: The attainment of the fifth Jhàna breathing ceases.How?

Post by santa100 »

Maybe the meditation state significantly reduces one's metabolism rate thus allowing one to survive without breathing for some length of time..
With lots of practice an animal like ourselves can go for perhaps five minutes without breathing. Some seals can dive for an hour or so before they have to surface to breathe, and large whales have been timed at an hour and a half. ( http://www.tortoisereserve.org/sundry/H ... Body2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

There have been cases of people not breathing for up to an hour, when trapped under ice, and they have fully recovered.
Maybe deep meditation does the same.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

James the Giant wrote:There have been cases of people not breathing for up to an hour, when trapped under ice, and they have fully recovered.
Maybe deep meditation does the same.
Either something like this, or breathing becomes so slow and shallow that it is completely imperceptible to even the most astute meditators.
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

I think it's a metabolism thing. IIRC, the metabolism in deep meditation drops about 50% while in sleep it's just 15%. Plus, you continue to breathe through the pores.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
matais

Post by matais »

Throughout the first four jhanas the perception of breath (or body, depending on ones meditation subject) remains in various degrees of subtlety. Since the fifth jhana is formless, this'd be the first jhana where breath, along with the rest of the body, becomes unnoticable. Regardless of what the body is doing, whether it's breathing deep, shallow, slow, rapid, at this point the breath ceases to exist for the meditator, along with all other forms.

That's how I'd interpret the quote, but I'm by no means an abhidhamma scholar.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

SarathW wrote:Onthe attainment of the fifth Jhàna breathing ceases.
No, it just means that there is no experience of bodily sensations like the breath.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
IanAnd

Post by IanAnd »

porpoise wrote:
No, it just means that there is no experience of bodily sensations like the breath.
:twothumbsup: Finally! Someone with some common sense.

What sometimes passes for inquiry here borders on the ridiculous.
"The gift of truth exceeds all other gifts" — Dhammapada, v. 354 Craving XXIV
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

IanAnd wrote:
porpoise wrote:

Agreed for the most part. Although it is true that people who are nearly frozen but alive can go without breathing for some time. The 4th jhana is actually supposedly where the breath stops though and this is before the perception of forms cease:
"I have further taught, monk, the gradual cessation of conditioned phenomena. In him who has attained the first meditative absorption,[2] speech has ceased. Having attained the second absorption, thought-conception and discursive thinking has ceased. Having attained the third absorption, joy has ceased. Having attained the fourth absorption, inhalation and exhalation have ceased.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .nypo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I just think it's in all probability physiologically impossible for this to be true.

:namaste:

Besides then there's this sutta which seems to contradict the one above (although there's a decent argument that it doesn't):
"If a monk should wish, 'May I, with the abandoning of pleasure & pain — as with the earlier disappearance of elation & distress — enter & remain in the fourth jhana: purity of equanimity & mindfulness, neither-pleasure-nor-pain,' then he should attend closely to this very same concentration through mindfulness of in-&-out breathing.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anyway, another strange controversy/anomaly in the suttas.
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

IanAnd wrote:
porpoise wrote:

But it's mystical and sounds cool, so that's a good enough reason to check my critical faculties at the door, isn't it?
As far back as 1964, the James Bond film "Goldfinger" showed a villain painting a woman head-to-toe with gold paint as a means of killing her. When the film was shot, people apparently believed that the skin needed to be clear for respiration. Even 007 himself said in the film that the paint killed the poor woman. The filmmakers even left a patch of skin free of paint on the otherwise-painted actress, just to make sure she wouldn't die during filming.

Currently, the only known mammal that breathes through its skin is a marsupial mouse living in Australia, known as the Julia Creek dunnart. This little critter breathes through its skin for the first couple of weeks of its life, just until its lungs mature sufficiently to be able to take over the job.
source
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Wow!My teacher was wrong about that! Not only her, but, as it seems, a lot of people!
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Modus.Ponens wrote:Wow!My teacher was wrong about that! Not only her, but, as it seems, a lot of people!
I can't tell if you're actually accepting the idea that your teacher is wrong or if you're being sarcastic but people are wrong all the time. Lots of people.

For example, either Allah is the one true God and the trinity is false or the trinity is real and the idea of Allah is false or they're both false. In any of those situations, billions of people are wrong, far more people than those who believe you can breathe through your pores.

santa100

Post by santa100 »

Guess one will need to reach the 4th jhana to find out for themselves. Anyway, if one of the foremost teachers in the Thai forest tradition, Phra Ajahn Lee, said about the phenomenon, then it's something worth our attention instead of simply brushing it aside..
(On the fourth jhana:)...This is true singleness of object, focused on the unperturbed stillness of the breath. All parts of the breath in the body connect so that you can breathe through every pore. You don't have to breathe through the nostrils, because the in-and-out breath and the other aspects of the breath in the body form a single, unified whole. All aspects of the breath energy are even and full ( http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai/lee/eyeof.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

polarbuddha101 wrote:
Modus.Ponens wrote:Wow!My teacher was wrong about that! Not only her, but, as it seems, a lot of people!
I can't tell if you're actually accepting the idea that your teacher is wrong or if you're being sarcastic but people are wrong all the time. Lots of people.

For example, either Allah is the one true God and the trinity is false or the trinity is real and the idea of Allah is false or they're both false. In any of those situations, billions of people are wrong, far more people than those who believe you can breathe through your pores.

Yes, I realise now that what I wrote could be easily interpreted as sarcastic, but it wasn't. I remember my first-to-fourth grade teacher teaching us this. It seems she was wrong. And it's a widely spread idea.
IanAnd

Post by IanAnd »

daverupa wrote:
IanAnd wrote:
porpoise wrote:

But it's mystical and sounds cool, so that's a good enough reason to check my critical faculties at the door, isn't it?
Yes, indeed. I just woke up from a nap and an even better response just hit me.

Picture Chris Farley, the SNL comedian, in his best gravelly voice saying: "Yeah, you'll stop breathing, you'll asphyxiate, and you'll go to nir...vaah...naah! How 'bout that." :rofl:
Last edited by IanAnd on Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The gift of truth exceeds all other gifts" — Dhammapada, v. 354 Craving XXIV