re: vipassana meditation

Discussion of Satipatthana bhavanā and Vipassana bhavana.
siddhartha2010
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:20 pm

re: vipassana meditation

Postby siddhartha2010 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:29 am

I sometimes find my hands or inner body muscle move unconsciously during meditation. also the sensations on my body has remained pretty much the same since I started meditating five years ago. big mass of solidity on majority of the body.
Somehow I developed a habit of smoking ciggarette before going to meditation. I am not sure if this has the impact.
But Vipassana has helped me change my life and notice more finer details in life.

Metta to all

User avatar
Ben
Site Admin
Posts: 17192
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:49 am
Location: War.loun.dig.er.ler
Contact:

Re: re: vipassana meditation

Postby Ben » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:11 am

welcome to Dhamma Wheel sidhattha.
Don;t worry about sensations not changing. Whatever arises - just observe!
Keep in mind the object of vipassana meditation as you have been taught it is to develop awareness and equanimity. Progress is not measured by the type of sensation you are experiencing.
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com..

siddhartha2010
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:20 pm

Re: re: vipassana meditation

Postby siddhartha2010 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:28 pm

Thank you.

User avatar
Collective
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:12 am

Re: re: vipassana meditation

Postby Collective » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:57 pm

Ben wrote:welcome to Dhamma Wheel sidhattha.
Don;t worry about sensations not changing. Whatever arises - just observe!
Keep in mind the object of vipassana meditation as you have been taught it is to develop awareness and equanimity. Progress is not measured by the type of sensation you are experiencing.
metta

Ben

Great advice for us all

Thanks Ben

siddhartha2010
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:20 pm

Re: re: vipassana meditation

Postby siddhartha2010 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:00 pm

At present I think I am following on the path that Budhha taught. I sit for few hours everyday. There is a monastery near where I live. I go there when ever I have the time to. Compare to few years ago I feel that I have transformed myself for better. But I dont know if it is due to my past karma I still find that I carry lots of anxiety within me. At times I feel very fearful of the future. Compare to past my guilty conscience is magnified to 10 times is I were to do something I would regret later.

At times I try my upmost to accept this feeling and begin to observe body in body

User avatar
Goofaholix
Posts: 2277
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:49 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: re: vipassana meditation

Postby Goofaholix » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:36 pm

siddhartha2010 wrote:At present I think I am following on the path that Budhha taught. I sit for few hours everyday. There is a monastery near where I live. I go there when ever I have the time to. Compare to few years ago I feel that I have transformed myself for better. But I dont know if it is due to my past karma I still find that I carry lots of anxiety within me. At times I feel very fearful of the future. Compare to past my guilty conscience is magnified to 10 times is I were to do something I would regret later.

At times I try my upmost to accept this feeling and begin to observe body in body


Just one step at a time, just continue to observe. This is not a quick fix and it takes time to fully understand how you are creating suffering for yourself and to let go of that.
"Right effort is effort with wisdom. Because where there is wisdom, there is interest. The desire to know something is wisdom at work. Being mindful is not difficult. But it’s difficult to be continuously aware. For that you need right effort. But it does not require a great deal of energy. It’s relaxed perseverance in reminding yourself to be aware. When you are aware, wisdom unfolds naturally, and there is still more interest." - Sayadaw U Tejaniya

User avatar
legolas
Posts: 235
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:58 am

Re: re: vipassana meditation

Postby legolas » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:54 am

siddhartha2010 wrote:I sometimes find my hands or inner body muscle move unconsciously during meditation. also the sensations on my body has remained pretty much the same since I started meditating five years ago. big mass of solidity on majority of the body.
Somehow I developed a habit of smoking ciggarette before going to meditation. I am not sure if this has the impact.
But Vipassana has helped me change my life and notice more finer details in life.

Metta to all


Don't forget that the mind influences the type of feelings/sensations that arise. If you can generate gladness & joy in the mind, this will calm the body and "sensations" will be more pleasant. I obviously dont know for sure but you might be over concentrating or using a technique that is not letting you actually enjoy the session. Happy mind first, "happy" body follows. Contemplating on a happy (nonsensual) time in your life could help. Smoking is bad for you. You will have to excuse me now, I need a quick fag.


Return to “Insight Meditation”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Google Saffron, Theravada Search Engine