Goenka technique

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
Ben

Re: Goenka technique

Post by Ben »

Great report, FijiNut!
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
upekkha

Post by upekkha »

Great report Fijinut!

If you read the Progress of Insight I believe you will see that your experiences line up quite nicely and clearly with the ancient maps.

After the stage of "Knowledge of Arising and Passing away" (What you report experiencing on day 4), there are stages which are rightly named (Knowledge of) Dissolution, misery, disgust, desire for deliverenace and re-observation (toughest one yet), before one reaches the 'Knowledge of Equanimity regarding formations' stage. (After crossing the 4th nyana you will probably begin to feel a strong pull towards spiritual practice, desire to renounce to world and dedicate more and more time to spritual practice, feeling that the world is unsatisfactory.. these have been reported by many many meditators crossing the infamous 4th nyana - do you find this in your own experience?)

In my own experience of practicing both body-scanning as well as other Vipassana techniques intensly, body-scanning becomes less effective after the 4th Nyana (Arising and Passing away) in those stages called 'Dukkha Nyanas' since one needs to objectify many mental objects as well as physical ones, and favouring body formations over mental formations seems to cause a stagnation.
Since all formations are anatta, you cannot 'stop' wanting to progress, or thinking about progress, or wanting some other experience, these are just mental phenomena arising on their own and are as 'holy' as any other sensation or vibration. One needs to see through them, objectify them, in order to continue making progress. One cannot fight craving, craving needs to be seen for what it is. Anicca, Dukkha, Anatta. You do not create craving, craving arises in a causal manner as any other mind/body formation.
I suggest trying some Mahasi noting, you'd be surprised how such a simple technique can bring about profound progress in short time (even during daily life). At least that's what I found in my own experience.

Enjoy!
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Hi Fijinut

Thanks for reporting back. I hope you don't mind me asking - did you gain an understanding of anatta in your experience?

with metta

RYB
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
fijiNut

Post by fijiNut »

ryb,
If that is a roundabout way to ask about attainments, I can honestly say.. no. Nothing to proclaim. :tongue:

Just to say that there were these states of mind that was experienced, and just about it.
I would be even sceptical to say the experience entailed anything special. I can't be sure.

But taking the results of practice out of context of just a 10 day retreat into daily life, the mind is very cautious about breaking sila, the discursive mind calms down extremely quickly, and also confidence in the Path is quite strong, one feels one can dedicate one's whole life to this.
vitellius

Post by vitellius »

rowyourboat wrote:'Bhangha' is another term- possibly with new usage with the tradition. It is said to denote a point where all body sensations disappear. Previously in the commentaries bhanga nana (knowledge of dissolution) is when everything seems to be dissolving. These two are different. I suspect that bhanga may occur in two instances- one is when samadhi is developed to a great degree and the mind cannot direct itself towards body sensations (this naturally happens in samatha) and focuses internally on the mind away from body sensations. Or it happens when there is stream entry.
Hi rowyourboat, I have also came to conclusion that "bhanga" in Goenka's tradition is most probably is a (near-)jhana state.
Ben

Post by Ben »

rowyourboat wrote:'Bhangha' is another term- possibly with new usage with the tradition. It is said to denote a point where all body sensations disappear.
No, that is not correct. The description of Bhanga within the tradition is completely consistent with the commentarial explanation. Goenkaji goes into considerable detail and explains that sensations do not disappear. As for 'new usage', Goenkaji has been describing bhanga-nana since I have been involved in 1985. And before that, I have a transcript and audio file of U Ba Khin saying much the same thing in 1969. And before that, we can look at the writings of Ledi Sayadaw, so its been around for awhile.
Oleksandr wrote: Hi rowyourboat, I have also came to conclusion that "bhanga" in Goenka's tradition is most probably is a (near-)jhana state.
That is not correct either. One apprehends bhangha from practicing vipassana. Within this tradition, vipassana is not practiced only after the attainment of jhana. It would be the exception rather than the rule that practitioners within this tradition experience bhanga from the basis of jhana. Bhanga and jhana are two very different states.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

vitellius

Post by vitellius »

Hello Ben,

I understand that in Goenka tradition "bhanga" is not associated with jhanas. It is my personal opinion that state called "bhanga" by S.N. Goenka and his students is the same or near that what is called "jhana" in some other traditions.

Anyway, may be you can recommend texts or dhammatalks where "bhanga" is described in details (more or less) by S.N. Goenka or somebody else from his tradition? Then I would be able to elaborate on this topic or to correct my opinion.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Oleksandr,
As a matter of interest, what is your opinion based on?
kind regards

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Brizzy

Post by Brizzy »

Ben wrote:
rowyourboat wrote:'Bhangha' is another term- possibly with new usage with the tradition. It is said to denote a point where all body sensations disappear.
No, that is not correct. The description of Bhanga within the tradition is completely consistent with the commentarial explanation. Goenkaji goes into considerable detail and explains that sensations do not disappear. As for 'new usage', Goenkaji has been describing bhanga-nana since I have been involved in 1985. And before that, I have a transcript and audio file of U Ba Khin saying much the same thing in 1969. And before that, we can look at the writings of Ledi Sayadaw, so its been around for awhile.
Oleksandr wrote: Hi rowyourboat, I have also came to conclusion that "bhanga" in Goenka's tradition is most probably is a (near-)jhana state.
That is not correct either. One apprehends bhangha from practicing vipassana. Within this tradition, vipassana is not practiced only after the attainment of jhana. It would be the exception rather than the rule that practitioners within this tradition experience bhanga from the basis of jhana. Bhanga and jhana are two very different states.
kind regards

Ben
You say "bhanga" has been around for quite a while (at least 100 years). Was it around at the Buddha's time and did the Buddha elaborate on it?

Is "practicing" vipassana possible?

You say Bhanga and jhana are two very different states, is this from personal experience?

:smile:
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Brizzy wrote:
Is "practicing" vipassana possible?
Cultivating the conditions that give rise to insight is possible.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
cooran

Post by cooran »

Brizzy wrote: Is "practicing" vipassana possible?
What is your opinion of this Brizzy? And how did you come you your conclusions?

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Brizzy

Post by Brizzy »

cooran wrote:
Brizzy wrote: Is "practicing" vipassana possible?
What is your opinion of this Brizzy? And how did you come you your conclusions?

with metta
Chris
Refer to tiltbillings post. A meditation technique/ritual/bodyscan that one decides to label "vipassana" is a misnomer.

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Brizzy wrote:]

Refer to tiltbillings post. A meditation technique/ritual/bodyscan that one decides to label "vipassana" is a misnomer.
It is just one of those things like "taking" refuge or "enlightenment."
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Brizzy

Post by Brizzy »

tiltbillings wrote:

:shrug: I do not understand.

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Brizzy wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:

:shrug: I do not understand.
One does not "take" refuge; the Pali is gacchami, I go for refuge. Bodhi is awakening, not enlightenment. Calling the practice "vipassana" because it cultivates those things that leads to vipassana is just one of those things. It is no big deal.