Mental Noting

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
tiltbillings

Re: Mental Noting

Post by tiltbillings »

Sylvester wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
mikenz66 wrote:I'm a bit wary of the term "bare attention" because there seem to be various ways of interpreting it.
Maybe "bare attention" is worth a careful look, and new thread. That will give me something to do later today.

Please do. I'll try to chime in a little with a philological/grammatical analysis of the ubiquitous "iti" clitics used all over the Satipatthana Sutta instructions, which may hopefully throw some light from another angle.

I think the "bare attention" theory has a very sound foundation in the Satipatthana Suttas, even if the standard Pali grammars have not picked this up.
I'll post something, but it will be in a couple of hours from now. Other duties call.

I'll start is as a new thread.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Sylvester

Re: Mental Noting

Post by Sylvester »

Oh no! All of my grammars are on my office PC, which means I'll have to lug it home if I'm to keep pace with your new thread. Maybe just a few notes, and no citations then.