Kundalini experiences on a Goenka retreat

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
hoshin

Re: Kundalini experiences on a Goenka retreat

Post by hoshin »

I don't understand why we talk about chakra, kundalini, though those experiences have been felt during a Vipassana retreat. I think those should have been understood in the way of vipassana. There is no chakra in vipassana, no kundalini. But moments of heat, movement, vibrations, etc can be experimented. When it is so, it should be noticed AS IT IS, and not gathered in a concept like chakra or kundalini experience...

When we follow a method, we should follow its instructions precisely, and not interpret an experience by using concepts from other methods. Otherwise, it's like climbing a mountain by taking one path, then quickly go down to take another path, then go down again... Doing like this will not lead us to reach the goal...

With metta

Hoshin

Post by cooran »

Well said! :clap:

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Indeed.

:goodpost:

Satipatthana is the frame of reference... in the context of Goenka-meditation, mindfulness of vedana specifically.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

hoshin wrote:I don't understand why we talk about chakra, kundalini, though those experiences have been felt during a Vipassana retreat. I think those should have been understood in the way of vipassana. There is no chakra in vipassana, no kundalini. But moments of heat, movement, vibrations, etc can be experimented. When it is so, it should be noticed AS IT IS, and not gathered in a concept like chakra or kundalini experience...

When we follow a method, we should follow its instructions precisely, and not interpret an experience by using concepts from other methods. Otherwise, it's like climbing a mountain by taking one path, then quickly go down to take another path, then go down again... Doing like this will not lead us to reach the goal...

With metta

Hoshin
Sadhu ! Sadhu ! Sadhu !

:anjali:
Pouki

Post by Pouki »

Hi Spoke, not sure if you're reading this since it's been 9 years, but hey.

I really enjoyed reading your post. I wonder a lot myself about mixing practices - is it good or bad? They make it clear at Goenka retreats that you shouldn't mix.
Yet I often fantasize about the "perfect little mix" of practices, where you mix in 20% Vipassana, add just a few gallons of Zen and a dash of kundalini, etc.
When you work out, you want to work on all muscles, do a little bit of everything. You want to avoid it becoming "routine" and fruitless.
But you also want to do reps, and be regular…

I like to think it can be a balance, as with everything. Being consistent but not too much.
Maybe giving Kundalini a chance for a little while, without going in too deep. Then back to Vipassana.
Maybe exploring that sensation at the crown of your head, but not too intensely, every once in a while.
Feel it out. If it feels ok and good, then go a little further. But take it slow and stay mindful.
The key is to feel it out. No matter what, you will be carving your own unique path with all this, just like everyone.

I hope you've been well since your post.
Meezer77

Post by Meezer77 »

I did a bit of Kundalini yoga and shortly afterwards had a nasty psychotic episode followed by a few months of very low mood. There are lots of videos on YouTube on Kundalini Psychosis. I’ve chosen to stay away from it.